Options

questions on starting CCNA studies

moose517moose517 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Alright guys, i have read through some of the FAQ at the top of the forum and want to make sure i have this correct. I am looking at the following books
Cisco CCNA: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition - Book Information - Sybex
CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition - $47.99

these are the recommended books that i have seen mentioned correct, and they are the newest revisions as well correct? The ciscopress book does cover both the ICDN1 and ICDN2 exams from what i have read as well right?

Secondly, i know there were many threads discussing what hardware to get for a home lab but i would like to know what the current recommendations are for the CCNA and then eventually the CCNP. I got 2 WS-C1924-A switches off of ebay for 14 bucks and have since learned that they are not preferred at all so i turn to you guys for help on selecting hardware. I'm willing to spend about 1500 max on hardware to study for both CCNA/CCNP so what would be my best options?

Thanks for you time guys

Comments

• Options
    ram2008ram2008 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Buy a simulator from Boson or another one, forgot the company name.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    The books are fine. If you've got 1500 to spend I reckon:

2x 2950 switches
    3x 2600XM routers with wic-1t's

I haven't done ccnp so I can't really recommend what hardware u would need.
  • Options
    That gear shouldn't cost too much all up - maybe au$700
  • Options
    see i had considered a simulator but i would like to eventually just incorporate the switch hardware into my home network, thats why i was asking. I was wondering if there was anyone with the higher certs that could help me assemble a parts list of everything i would need, like wic cards and what-not.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    While there are some good deals on ready-to-go labs available, I would recommend building your lab piece-by-piece. You'll save money in the long run and you'll learn more about what it takes to build a network. And if you find out that networking is not for you, you won't regret buying that $2000 start-up lab.

:)

A 2611 is a good start and they are not expensive these days.

The 2600's help you avoid buying AUI transceivers (the 2500's need those).

The 2600XMs are going down in price - if they are within your budget go for those

2500's are good for their built-in serial ports. The 2520 is best as you get 4

As far as switches go, you can't beat a 2950 as there are very few bad ones out there

Definitely avoid 1900's, although if a local shop has one for under $5.00 they can be somewhat useful.

2900's are good for learning STP - but the command set is not as up-to-date as the 2950

Good luck with your studies bud
  • Options
    Sorry its taken so long to look back at my thread here. If i were to get the 2621xm i hear about a lot should i get 2 or 3 of these. Same question for the 2950, i know everyone suggests they have the Enhanced image as well, should i get 2? Besides the routers/switches themselves, what other things will i need, i know about the wic-1T's, do i need one for each router? Also for the 2950's i looked at making sure they have the GBIC ports for uplink, would getting the ethernet GBIC card be more than sufficient for this as well. Thanks for your time guys, i really appreciate this. The cisco stuff is really fun and exciting and i've only played with 2 1924 catalyst switches LOL.
  • Options
    Not all 2950's run the enhanced image (EI). Only the 2950T, 2950G, and 2950C switches run the EI. From a CCNA perspective, you can do RSTP with an EI whereas you cant with a the standard image (SI).

If you get a 2950T they will already have two 1000BaseT ports, whereas a 2950G does not.

If you get have 3 2600XM's then it would be ideal for all of them to have 2 WIC-1Ts or each have a singe WIC-2T so you can fully mesh the routers.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    moose517 wrote: »
    Alright guys, i have read through some of the FAQ at the top of the forum and want to make sure i have this correct. I am looking at the following books
    Cisco CCNA: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition - Book Information - Sybex
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition - $47.99

these are the recommended books that i have seen mentioned correct, and they are the newest revisions as well correct? The ciscopress book does cover both the ICDN1 and ICDN2 exams from what i have read as well right?

Secondly, i know there were many threads discussing what hardware to get for a home lab but i would like to know what the current recommendations are for the CCNA and then eventually the CCNP. I got 2 WS-C1924-A switches off of ebay for 14 bucks and have since learned that they are not preferred at all so i turn to you guys for help on selecting hardware. I'm willing to spend about 1500 max on hardware to study for both CCNA/CCNP so what would be my best options?

Thanks for you time guys

I would recommend getting the cisco books, CBT Nuggetts - Jeremy rocks and a lab, thats what I used anyway.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    GNS3 and 2950 switches are what I would recommend. Also 1760 routers are fairly cheap can run 12.4 IOS are nice and small but still rack mountable. I can't recommend GNS3/dynamips enough though because unlike the CCIE which has wookbooks based on a single topology the CCNA labs you will be doing will likely vary. GNS3 enables you to drag and drop routers and different types of links so you can change topologies in minutes. Also if any of you are with a partner you should be able to get free rack time from the PEC page at Cisco.