Options

Help please!

Squirrel23Squirrel23 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I had a phone call from a friend in work. Their boss took an XP laptop home and used it with his wireless network and when he brought it back, it no longer connects to the work network. All the PCs in work run Vista. The laptop can connect to the net, but a mapped drive that was configured to a network share has disappeared and it won't browse to the folder using "map network drive" in My Computer. The workgroup has changed, but I've been told it's now back to the right one. I'm awful at explaining things over the phone. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Have him restart the computer.

How was TCP/IP configured before? If static make sure you put the right information in again.

Make sure all the services that should be, are started.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does he connect wirelessly at the office as well? I've had issues with some of our users having their laptops set up to connect automatically when the network "linksys" is in range. Someone in our area has a unsecure wireless network called "linksys" and sometimes they would connect to that person's network instead of ours.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Squirrel23Squirrel23 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The TCP/IP settings were all configured to Automatic, and there is no Alternate configuration set. The Network in the office is wired. If she can get on the net, then I'm guessing that TCP/IP is working ok. She wasn't able to give me much more info, so I don't think we'll be able to solve this one unfortunately!

Would the wireless network at home have disabled File and Print sharing? Would this stop Vista and Xp "seeing" each other?? That's all I can think of really...