Options

CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Home Lab Setup Help

2»

Comments

• Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    It is important before asking for advice to be open to the idea that the advice you receive might not be what you want to hear, but might also be what you need to hear. Otherwise, there really is no point in asking for advice.

...just a thought.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Manuel_A wrote: »
    And then connect the octal cable from my 2511 A/S to each device, to configure them.
    Buy a spare octal cable. One of mine has a bad pin in the HD68 plug which doesn't make a good contact. It was a new sealed octal cable as well and the plug didn't look damaged in any way.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hi manuel :)

i think you'd better to start all these one step at a time.
    do your CCNA study first - buy enough & equal equipment to study with,
    and take the exam.

after you've passed that CCNA - move forward to study CCNP stuff and again, add some more equipment needed for it & as supplement to your existing CCNA rack, and the same goes for the CCIE.

from those study stages - you will experience how to do something eg. how to design your network, how to equip your network and so forth. and, all that counts.

enjoy the study & good luck :)

btw, with all due respect - i think this thread should be moved to the CCNA subforum so that any other CCNA-level member can learn together.

i agree completely.. buy only what you need or just dynamip it. until you need invest in alot of hardware..
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I decided to start with:

6 – 3725 Routers
    2 – 3550 switches
    1 – 3640 Router for F/R
    1 – 2511 Router for A/S

Please I could use some cabling ideas, for my frame-relay.

IMHO - do not waste your money on 3725 routers. Your looking at about $200 per router plus shipping and various WIC's to swap out. I just purchased 4 2650XM's with 256/48 for $95 with free shipping and came with a 1 year warranty. To me spending $95 on routers that can do the same as $200 routers is a no brainer. So you could allocate $1200 for routers or you can spend just under $600 and have $800 that can be better allocated somewhere else.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    BennyLavaBennyLava Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with what others have said, a couple other things to consider:

1. Cabling and troubleshooting layer 1 problems are not a part of the CCIE lab. They're certainly important to learn, but you won't be tested on it for the lab. Once you get to the point that you're preparing for the lab exam, I don't see much of a benefit to having a lab you cabled yourself vs. renting a rack or using dynamips.

2. I believe the latest IOS 3725 will support is 12.4(15)T9. When Cisco starts using 12.4T on the R&S lab exam starting in October, there may be a few things that you won't be able to do with those routers that could be on the lab such as the QoS changes in 12.4(20)T. 7200 routers in dynamips can still run the latest 12.4T release.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    I decided to start with:

6 – 3725 Routers
    2 – 3550 switches
    1 – 3640 Router for F/R
    1 – 2511 Router for A/S

Please I could use some cabling ideas, for my frame-relay.

1. Buy cables
    2. Plug cables into routers
  • Options
    Manuel_AManuel_A Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    apd123 wrote: »
    1. Buy cables
    2. Plug cables into routers

Thank You I needed that. icon_lol.gif
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Manuel, I think you would probably find more help and a better audience in the CCNA forums. The CCNP and CCIE forums are generally for more advanced network topics, but these kind of questions would get a better response in a CCNA forum and then others just starting out could learn from them, too. There's nothing wrong with starting out at the basics...we all did it at one time or another, but you have to walk before you can run.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog