Options

70-293 Rocks!

Just started reading/studying for the 70-293 and man am I excited to learn this material! I mean, it was cool to learn the 'how to' of 70-270, 70-290 & 70-291 but learning about the 'why' is sooo much cooler. I really like getting the topical point of view with even more in-depth explanations of the materials.

Looking forward to this one! Cheers to all those studying as well!
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Hey dude. I just started studying for 293 too, after dropping 620 (will pick it up last if I need to). So far I've found it all a lot of network+ stuff and 291-lite.

What material are you using?
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    aquageek wrote: »
    Hey dude. I just started studying for 293 too, after dropping 620 (will pick it up last if I need to). So far I've found it all a lot of network+ stuff and 291-lite.

What material are you using?

Hey there aqua!

Well, still using the Sybex series, 70-293 2nd Edition. I've only read the 1st chapter thus far but it seems cool so far. I am really looking forward the the NLB, PKI and Clustering portions.

What are you using?

oh, and I am also using CBT Nuggets 70-293 but so far that seem pretty remedial, at least the 1st couple of videos were.
  • Options
    tmpruesstmpruess Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks like that makes 3 of us.

I just started studying for this on Friday. I skipped the review material and networking material and went right for NLB, clustering and PKI. So far I have watched most of the TestOut CBT videos and did the sims to go along with them.

Is it just me or does it seem that 293 has the same amount of material as 291? I'm hoping to take this before the 17th(took the 291 on the 3rd).
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Hey Gen and Aqua, nice to see that you guys made it to the 293 forums, welcome icon_smile.gif.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Haha hey guys!

I'm using MSPress and TestOut. Haven't really used TestOut yet, I'm reading quickly through the first few chapters of the MSPress at the moment.

I'm thinking maybe take this exam at the end of next week!
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    tmpruess wrote: »
    Looks like that makes 3 of us.

I just started studying for this on Friday. I skipped the review material and networking material and went right for NLB, clustering and PKI. So far I have watched most of the TestOut CBT videos and did the sims to go along with them.

Is it just me or does it seem that 293 has the same amount of material as 291? I'm hoping to take this before the 17th(took the 291 on the 3rd).

Yeah, there is a lot of overlap and if were not for NLB, PKI and clustering the exam would probably be exactly the same. That being said, I am taking my time with this one because I want a deep understanding of the design portion of things. I would like to get into consulting so I think this will come into play heavily.

Consulting can be where the money is at!
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Well sheeettttt fellas. Looks like we are all coming together in at least one thread. After looking at some of the posts, it seems like the general conscenus is that ""security" would be the hot topic. Lord knows that security is a major concern nowadays. Sounds like the test is mixed though. The Comptia Sec+ test was excellent for the theory, but now studying for this test is showing how it is appled for the MS side of things. If anyone is having issues with the PKI part, Sec+ is a good resource. Let me know if I can help, I have material.

Being that I am in an admin position already, plus security conscious ( everyone is suspect and I trust no one (LOL), maybe a look into security+ material might also be helpful to some. I see some overlap and it puts the MS perspective into place. Security at our location wasn't a high priority it seems, and what I like now is that at least it is covering the security/cert side.

I guess we have become the next IT "rat pack" since several of us have been about the same pace, so if I can hekp in any way, let me know. Out of all the forums I have been in over the years, this is the best group, by far.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Hey moto! Thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you. I would be interested in taking a look at the PKI resource you mentioned. I was going to go for Sec+ after getting the MCSA but decided I wanted to finish up the MCSE before the 2nd shot offer goes away. Plus there has been talk of people earning the MCSE w/A+/Net+ as their elective so I figure I'll do 70-293, 70-294 & then 70-297. If it doesn't work out I'm gonna finish up with the 70-284 I think.

Yes, this is definitely an awesome forum and a great group of 'Rats' imo. :)

I have the 70-293 scheduled for Friday, May 1st but I might push it back a week as I'm just beginning to review IPSec and I still need to go over PKI/NLB/Clustering. I've spent all this time since the 70-291 really going through DNS/DHCP/IPSec/RRAS policies etc so I feel very comfortable with it all. If 1 solid week isn't enough for PKI/NLB/Clustering than I'll give it another week. :)

Hoping to finish up MCSE by the end of June. :)
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Ok fellas, here are some links that I used whiel studying for the Sec+ test. Hopefully this will help with the CA/PKI/concepts. Some are orgs that are for security related topics and you may have to dig through/search through them. I am listing them in random order BTW, but these are the ones that I seemed to have better luck in either understanding/grasping.

Security+ Study Guides, Practice Exams, Training Resources, and Forums

Welcome to CERT

Guide to vendor-specific information security certifications

US-CERT: United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team

SecurityFocus

SANS Institute - Network, Security, Computer, Audit Information & Training

SANS Internet Storm Center; Cooperative Network Security Community - Internet Security - isc

http://www.infosyssec.org/infosyssec/security/secdos1.htm

Computer Security Institute

Computer and network security articles and hacking prevention resources for the government.

This will probably look like a a list that belongs in the Sec+ forum, but there is relevant info that you can get and since 293 covers security topics, just figure it can help.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!