Options

Mcsa

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I hope to have my MCSA at the end of Arpil.

Im currently on Level 1 helpdesk and hope to

1 Move jobs
2 Continue studying

Would it be a dangerous move to think of moving in the current climate.Id love a sys admin job but probably would need to go for desktop support role as too big a jump with current experience

Also I hope to continue studying after break for Summer or maybe study during the Summer depending on weather etc

What would be best courses to do maybe upgrade exams to 2008 or maybe hardware like CCNA etc

I really want a certificate that will help me to move to another role

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cert-wise, I'd finish the MCSE if I were you. Then hit up the upgrades and/or CCNA. The MCSA isn't too prestigious, and I'm not sure how popular/well-known the 2008 certs are yet (I've been saying that for awhile though, so hopefully that's changing). The CCNA will always be good to help round you out a bit.

There's nothing wrong with looking for another position. Just don't go with anything that seems risky. Nothing is guaranteed, but you don't want to be in a position where it falls through and you find yourself jobless in a rough climate.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't worry too much about the "climate" at this point. If there's a better opening, take it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Level 1 can mean very different things for different companies. Would you be willing to share your top 10-15 duties with us?

I say this because without at least some related experience, the MCSE and even the MCSA can be overkill.

The CCNA is an acceptable entry level cert to have under your belt any almost any circumstance I can think of. Let us know more about your technical backgroud so we can best guide you.

As for the market, you are right. Don't move jobs... at least not yet.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I say go for MCSA and then finish out the MCSE. Add the CCNA after that. Gaining Certs to help improve your knowledge and marketability shouldn't hurt your job search.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply

Will finish MCSA and then see how things are going

All the best,
    Noel
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Finish the MCSA for now.

Having an MCSE with no exerience in that actual area is going to scream "paper".
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jordus wrote: »
    Finish the MCSA for now.

Having an MCSE with no exerience in that actual area is going to scream "paper".

Volunteer. One of the churches I manage has three servers, including Exchange. Little bits of work here and there will help build respectable experience over time.