Options

2924 vs. 2950

surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
Hi,

I have seen a number of posts where people request guidance on whether or not their next purchase is a good one or not.

I have noticed that a number of similar posts often relate to the 2924 switches, and people quite quickly recommend to get the 2950's.

My question is this, why when there are so many offerings of CCNA labs for sale containing the 2924 switches, as if they are the right choice, are they actually not the right choice?

What real CCNA advantages do you get on the 2950's over the 2924's?
Could you get away with 1x 2950 & 2x 2924 for lab sakes?

Its just annoying when the 2924's are considerably cheaper than the 2950's. Obviously this gives a fairly good indicator that one is superior to the other, but why?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Its just annoying when the 2924's are considerably cheaper than the 2950's. Obviously this gives a fairly good indicator that one is superior to the other, but why?

Why?

Cisco never bothered to build an IOS for the 2900's that can use the new commands that avoid the vlan database method

The hardware could handle the new commands, but Cisco declined to support the older 2900's

Maybe the ciscofatty girl could explain it

icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco 2950 standard image (SI) models WS-C2950-12 and WS-C2950-24 are available on ebay for around $50 shipped pretty consistently. I have spent more on Cisco Press books. Given the capable nature of this 2950 model compared to much less capable alternatives, it isn't worth the few dollars saved to get a 2924. Penny wise and pound foolish.

It is preferable to get an enhanced image (EI) 2950 such as the WS-C2950G-24-EI (or 48 port, or 12 port) which sell for under $100 shipped pretty regularly. However, if your budget precludes an EI 2950, the standard image 2950 is still light years ahead of the 2924.

This link outlines the critical differences:
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca2950/prodlit/1855_pp.pdf

Looking over the PDF, important differences that jump out at me....

Advantages that the 2950 SI has over the 2924 includes new vlan config mode, 802.1x, bpduguard, backbonefast, PAgP, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, DTP. The lack of DTP on the 2924 can really hider your understanding of trunking port modes.

Advantages that the 2950 EI has over the 2950 SI include some of the QoS stuff, RSTP, and MST. Nice to have, but not necessity.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have noticed that a number of similar posts often relate to the 2924 switches, and people quite quickly recommend to get the 2950's.

Think Windows 3.1 v.s Windows 95 (well, in 1995..)
    My question is this, why when there are so many offerings of CCNA labs for sale containing the 2924 switches, as if they are the right choice, are they actually not the right choice?

Because they're not that valuable and people buy them not knowing any better. Personally, I lose respect for whatever vendor I see offering sub-2950s without any sort of disclaimer.

You best bet is three 2950s.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    Because they're not that valuable and people buy them not knowing any better. Personally, I lose respect for whatever vendor I see offering sub-2950s without any sort of disclaimer.
    At least a 2900XL is useful still for certain things. I see people selling Catalyst 1900s all the time which don't even run IOS. They're all invariably advertised as perfect for CCNA/CCNP/CCIE as well. I'd use a 1900 as a big paperweight or something to prop a door open with.

Basically resellers just want to get rid of junk by glossing over the fact it doesn't quite have the same commands that you need. If they actually disclosed this then its not a problem but hardly anybody ever does.
  • Options
    surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Fish!

I think the devices are generally cheaper in the US. UK ebay seems to sell 2924 switches for about £30-50 pounds and the 2950's for £70+ which is why to me it makes a bit of a difference.

If I could buy them for $50 dollars I would be laughing but unfortunately we seem to be getting slightly ripped off in the UK market for them. I imagine this is just due to supply and demand....

hey ho...

Thanks for all the links and information on comparisson, there are quite a few benefits by the sounds of it, so I will just need to save up and invest once I have the cash.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

Most labs you see on EBay could be bought a lot cheaper if you bought the items seperately. Also, you could get exactly what you are after rather than 1 or 2 OK items padded out with rubbish. A lot does depend on whether you just need CCNA lab (couple of switches and a router) or want the basis of a CC*P lab eventually.
    Kam.