Options

MCSA - A Few Questions

DoireDoire Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like to achieve my MCSA but im confused about its content.

Can someone list each exam which needs to be passed before i can be MCSA certified?

I guess i should start with 270, 290 and then 291? How many do i need to apss to be MCSA

What kind of timeframe is needed to apss the exam. I kow each person is different but would it be 6 months? 1 Year?

I already have my A+ and N+. Does this go some way to achieving my MCSA? I read some posts about "electives"

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Yes, A+ with the Network+ can count as an elective. How long does it take? Depends on the person and how much time you put into it. I had to take 3 test cause I had a+, and network+. The 3 test took me around 6 months last year, but that was because I studied not everyday or every other day.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the link. Really helpful
    So i have to do the following:

Exam 70-290
    Exam 70-291

One from
    Exam 70-6203
    Exam 70-270
    Exam 70-2101

What do they mean by "elective exams". As i have A+ and N+ i dont have to do the 4th exam??

Thanks
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    With a+/Network+ or security+ you already have the elective, so you only need to do the 70-290, 70-291 and a client exam!
  • Options
    TopTechTopTech Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not make the client exam the Vista 70-620 one?
    It will expire later than the XP one and will get your first foothold on the MCITS path.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    You need 70-290, 70-291, and 70-620. You also need to have Comptia send Microsoft your A+ and N+ info.
  • Options
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    You need 70-290, 70-291, and 70-620. You also need to have Comptia send Microsoft your A+ and N+ info.

Why 70-620?

I thought i had a choice. 70-270 is one of the choices
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You do have a choice. The reason people recommend the 620 is that it also meets one of the requirements for the MCITP:EA/SA. Another reason people recommend it is that it is a much easier exam than the 270.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    You do have a choice. The reason people recommend the 620 is that it also meets one of the requirements for the MCITP:EA/SA. Another reason people recommend it is that it is a much easier exam than the 270.

I'll stick to XP thanks.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would also recommend the Vista 620 exam. The 70-270 is not a easy exam at all. I have seen people on this board fail the xp exam multiple times. The Vista exam is much easier and does give credit for future certs.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    pmmcateerpmmcateer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also doing XP vice Vista. I failed on Tuesday going in with just experience so you will have to study the parts of XP you don't know about(there probably are a few believe it or not).

There are very few companies running to upgrade XP machines to Vista, and there won't be a demand for the certification. Hopefully Windows 7 is much better (I've heard good things) but yea, stick with what is in demand. Get the MCSA with XP then upgrade to MCITP. My 2c. :)