Options

I'm done studying

aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
Because I took the composite this morning and passed with a 972! My resources were:
ICND1 Cisco Press Book
CCNA Study Guide Rev. 2 by Todd Lammle
Cisco Systems, Inc
subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
this website
and a CCNA course by global knowledge

I spent about 4 months studying. My home lab consisted of 3 2610s and 3 switches, 1 2950 and 2x 3548 xls (which arent that great). I also used GNS3 alot.

Anyways, thanks for the help =)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gratz on the hard work!
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

So what's next on your study agenda icon_study.gif (after a suitable period of celebration drunken_smilie.gif, of course )?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Very good question. I'm currently working on learning Powershell but that doesn't get me a cert. The current not set in stone plan is to get more familiar w/ PS and hopefully find a better job then depending on what type of environment that job is I can learn more. Topics off the top of my head would be stuff like VMWare, Linux, Security etc..
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    aordal wrote: »
    Very good question. I'm currently working on learning Powershell but that doesn't get me a cert. The current not set in stone plan is to get more familiar w/ PS and hopefully find a better job then depending on what type of environment that job is I can learn more. Topics off the top of my head would be stuff like VMWare, Linux, Security etc..

Whatever you don't stop learning! But as Mike suggested, an appropriate celebration is in order. Congrats!
  • Options
    LT72884LT72884 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Because I took the composite this morning and passed with a 972! My resources were:
    ICND1 Cisco Press Book
    CCNA Study Guide Rev. 2 by Todd Lammle
    Cisco Systems, Inc
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    this website
    and a CCNA course by global knowledge

I spent about 4 months studying. My home lab consisted of 3 2610s and 3 switches, 1 2950 and 2x 3548 xls (which arent that great). I also used GNS3 alot.

Anyways, thanks for the help =)

Congrats. I take my ccna next month sometime. im excited to get it out of the way

the only thing that concerns me is that website. One of the questions says this:

172.28.0.0/23 (255.255.254.0)
    how many subnets and hosts.

Cant really have subnets because you are supernetting not subnetting. The answer i get is 2 class C networks with 512 Total ip's. One class C network can support 256 total ips. hence why the answer is 2 not 128 because 2(256)=512..They say the answer is 128 subnets and 510 hosts

the range is 172.28.0.0-172.28.1.255

so i would be carful of that subnetting site
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

Unix would round you quite nicely.
    Kam.
  • Options
    wtf007wtf007 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I am going to start studing CCNA, my qts is whether I need actual routers \ switches or just use dynamips and if I use dynamips, what's the best ios image I should look for?
    A+ (2003 Objectives): March 2009.
    Network+ (2007 Objectives): April 2009.
    Going for CCNA.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Silly Aordal, you don't stop studying just because you pass an exam ;)

Nice job icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    wtf007 wrote: »
    Congrats.

I am going to start studing CCNA, my qts is whether I need actual routers \ switches or just use dynamips and if I use dynamips, what's the best ios image I should look for?

Actual hardware - it can be done on the cheap with 2501's and 2950's. That will at least get you through ICND1.

Drew
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    LT72884 wrote: »
    Congrats. I take my ccna next month sometime. im excited to get it out of the way

the only thing that concerns me is that website. One of the questions says this:

172.28.0.0/23 (255.255.254.0)
    how many subnets and hosts.

Cant really have subnets because you are supernetting not subnetting. The answer i get is 2 class C networks with 512 Total ip's. One class C network can support 256 total ips. hence why the answer is 2 not 128 because 2(256)=512..They say the answer is 128 subnets and 510 hosts

the range is 172.28.0.0-172.28.1.255

so i would be carful of that subnetting site

Lets see, class B address (16 bits), 7 bits for subnets and 9 bits for hosts

NNNNNNNN.NNNNNNNN.SSSSSSSH.HHHHHHHH

So 2^7= 128 subnets and 2^9 - 2 = 510 hosts. What's wrong with that?

You only have the first valid subnet in you answer. Subnets are as follows:

etc...

You have to look at what the question is asking! Good luck!

Subnetting Made Easy

Edit:I see your trouble. 172 in first octet is class B address.
  • Options
    My wife sits on monster.com and says to me "You need to learn Unix." /groan