Options

MCSE 2003 path to MCITP

sott3sott3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have my MCSA 2003 and was planning to work towards my MCSE 2003. And after getting the MCSE 2003, moving on to MCITP EA. But in reviewing the MCITP paths, it seems to make sense to forget about the MCSE 2003 now and move on with the MCTS/MCITP exams. An MCSA 2003 to MCITP EA takes 4 exams; finishing my MCSE 2003 + getting MCITP EA would be six exams.

Of course, I'm also considering just going MCSA -> MCITP SA. Then look at some non-MS certs like CCNA to round out the resume a bit.

Any opinions out there of the value of an MCSE 2003 now, as compared to skipping it and going straight to MCITP? My MCSE for NT4 is looking a bit crusty these days. :)

Also, any preference in a 70-648 prep book between Microsoft Press and Syngress?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Having gotten my MCITP:EA my MCSE has been receiving much more recognition. Even places running and/or transitioning to 2008 do not recognize that there is no MCSE for 2008. I think I've only talked to one maybe two people that have actually recognize the MCITP for what it is. Everyone else I've had to educate. So in my opinion it does not really have market visibility currently. Getting the MCSE in 2003 and then upgrading to MCITP:EA would be a more marketable route I believe.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's going to be another year or two before companies really start to recognize the MCITP series of certifications, (let alone when they're going to realize there's more than one MCITP). The first generation of MCSEs didn't find much recognition in the market either, it wasn't until the Windows 2000 era that the MCSE became a hot commodity. Go for the MCSE, upgrade to MCITP: EA, and then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Definitely complete the MCSE and then upgrade to MCITP. Every hiring manager knows about the MCSE, but few know the MCITP. Unless you apply to a Microsoft partner, an MCITP might not even make it past the resume filter right now.
  • Options
    sott3sott3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I've signed up to take 70-293 on Wednesday. May as well get this MCSE 2003 wrapped up.