Options

Looking for feedback

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey everyone,

I know that you guys (and gals) are all busy but I was wondering if anyone was willing to provide some feedback on my resume. Good, bad, indifferent....I'm not picky. Just another recent grad having trouble getting a job. Thanks in advance to anyone that comments. :)

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5COwner%5CDesktop%5Cres.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Assuming your name and contact info, and recommendations are at the top just chopped off for privacy I liked it. It's short to the point (not a novel).

My resume has a little bit of color in it to help it stand out just a little from all the other black and white resumes. Might want to consider that if your handy with word... then put it in to PDF before you email it out, it makes it look better.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Yes I did remove the personal info for security/privacy reasons...but thanks for the input icon_smile.gif

One other thing I forgot to add.....whats the opinion of including a web blog address in a resume....do employers read them? Does it not add any benefit?
  • Options
    someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Nice resume Night!!! it looks alot better than mine lol
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    whats the opinion of including a web blog address in a resume....do employers read them? Does it not add any benefit?

What's the addy? ;)

I'd consider it if it were a professional blog, such as Royal's. Look at it from a potential employer's perspective and see if you think it will improve their perspective of you.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    I would move your certs up to the Educations section, then merge your skills with employment history. Then delete the "Skills" section all together. Instead of just saying "Skill: VMWare", you should describe how you used VMWare and for what company.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think the resume looks good, it'll definitely work for your level of education and experience. As you go, take a look at examples of resumes and take a peek at how-tos by searching Google for tips; there are lots of websites dedicated to resume-writing. As for your blog, as Dynamik said, if you use it for professional documentation and writing about IT-related information, then you'll want to list it. Many employers want to see that you're capable of documenting your work, (a skill that often sets seniors apart from juniors in this field,) and an IT blog with walkthroughs and setup information relating to the work you've done so far will look very good to a hiring manager.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    @ rwwest7 - Thanks for the tips I'll rework it over the next few days.

@ every else - thanks for all the advice guys/gals!! The blog is Security Nut (for those interested). I just recently started it so there isn't much there yet...however I have been trying to post all documentation and things I'm learning/researching on the job there for future reference (and to obv share with others).

It bothers me that I graduated at the worst possible time....and that I'm so young (lack of exp)....seems like the planets are aligned against me at the moment lol icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ah you went to stony....i got a few pplz that went there and few that are still there now. but um, yeah, you're résumé looks pretty good. yo, what type of job position are you lookin for? i might know of some spots....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Well I'm in a desktop support / technician role now and DESPERATELY trying to get out of it. Basically anything system admin, jr system admin, system engineer, or anything security related.