Options

When we only have to take a note

LefanduchLefanduch Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey, that a stupid question, but i need to ask:

When you need to write a LITTLE note on your computer, what you doing?

- You create a new TXT file just for 1 sentence
- You create a new WORD file just for 1 sentence
- You write in on a Post IT on Windows Side Bar

I mean im sick of creating a new file just for 1 sentence. Also i don't want to have alot of post it on my screen.

So what is the best way to take a note fast, without getting a mess in your PC? icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tend to use Excel. At work I have a sheet with a column for name of caller, a short description of issue, and whether I dealt with it or not. There is also a column of date/time, which I have a macro to auto-populate with the current date and time. I also have conditional formatting so that if I didn't populate anything for the "resolved" column then it highlights the row yellow.

Our ticketing system can be slow at times and it demands the population of a bunch of fields, so for quickly resolved calls I find it quicker to do this way and catch up on the ticketing system when I have a moment.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started it at work, but I am used to Start > Run > notepad > whatever I need to jot down.

I have tons of text files on my PC with useless little notes in them. Sometimes at work I will just have one text file with the notes I need for that day. At the end of the day I delete what I don't need anymore, and save the rest. Works for me.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to use txt files often, but the only place that got me was having a desktop scattered with txt files that I could ignore.

Instead, I just ended up using the tasks feature in Outlook since I don't otherwise use it. This way I can have them in front of me on a daily basis and they tend to become accomplished easier that way.

Many of the items that end up there actually begin life as a line on a legal pad I keep at my desk for brief info of any messages I might have in my voicemail. Any calls I'm not going to immediately return in the next half hour to an hour I write down a brief note about it on my legal pad as I go through my voicemail, then add them as a task if it's something for later in the day or week/whatever.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, I never used tasks in Outlook. I just logged (lol, from other thread) into OWA, and created a few I remembered I have to do. Man it's pretty awesome. I'm now going to use this instead of the unorganized txt files I have on my desktop.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also using the tasks function in outlook, its a really cool and useful option.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    Wow, I never used tasks in Outlook. I just logged (lol, from other thread) into OWA, and created a few I remembered I have to do. Man it's pretty awesome. I'm now going to use this instead of the unorganized txt files I have on my desktop.

It's spreading! I only meant for it to ruin the one thread. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I currently use this program...
    stickies for you monitor

Stickies
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    It's spreading! I only meant for it to ruin the one thread. icon_lol.gif

Well, it's logged now.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    While at work, I use Outlook notes or tasks (depending on the situation), at home I use notepad.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Microsoft Office OneNote
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Opera Notes on my sidebar. Works great for me. I tried a stickies type widget for the desktop via KDE4 Plasma but Opera has just always been more efficient for me. If for some reason I am somewhere sans Opera or Opera just isn't loading because I love to run betas, then I'll use notepad or vim or kate or something like that depending upon OS.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    I use Thunderbird with Sunbird to keep track of notes and quick tasks. You can even save it on a webdav share for sharing from home.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can just drag e-mails into tasks... sweet...
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    You can just drag e-mails into tasks... sweet...

Yup... although I much prefer forwarding tasks :D
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If it's something that actually needs to be done, I create a task in Outlook. If it's something fun to note, I'll send it out to my friends (and myself) in an email. If it's something that I really need to remember, I'll tuck it in a txt file, drop it into My Documents, and never see it again.

I am liking the Stickies-style programs, particularly the variant that comes with Windows 7, so I'll probably end up taking up every inch of my monitor with electronic sticky-notes.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use my memory.....yup nothing gets fixed here.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Depends on what it is.

If it's just some little tidbit of knowledge that I might need at some point in the future, I toss it into my wiki.

If it's a 'todo' reminder, I enter a ticket in my ticketing system.