Options

Countdown to The Beast - 11hrs - UPDATE: PASSED!!!

Got Second Meeting with the beast in 11hrs.

I'm off for a quick Guinness (so that I'm able to sleep tonight), then its The Beast at 8am tomorrow. Looking for an improvement over my first visit. Will advise............

Update:
Would have settled for a 700 with "The Beast" but got a 778 :) now MCSA too :)

Big thanks to those who run this forum and for those who have offered advice and support, AWESOME.

I actually thought I'd failed this exam because it was VERY difficult.
48 questions and 1 sim. 2 hours 40 min. Mostly RRAS and Security icon_sad.gif
Very few DNS and IP Questions.

Just for the record, Transcenders did the biz on this one as my last attempt 7 weeks ago only got 495. I've hit the books and transcenders hard for the last few weeks.

I've used the MS Press book (but found it hard work), also used Exam Cram and Syngress, CBT Nuggets, some VTC.com also, Transcenders and Selftest Software - found transcenders of more help.

Not bad for a 50 year old eh?

No immediate plans to do any other exams but will be reading up on Vista and Server 2008 shortly.

Thanks again all.

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Best of luck on the exam let us know how you do.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Slay the Beast!!!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    Graham_84Graham_84 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im glad im not in your shoes! Done that once. Good luck! Let us know how you get one!
    Currently having a break after the MCITP:EA. Citrix or Cisco next, not sure!
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Good Luck! MCSA is just around the corner!
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keeps going and good night. Let us know.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    tawnostawnos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. I'm about to hit the transcender stage as well and i'm relieved to hear they help, given their high cost.

Has the test duration always been 2hr40? I remember getting 4 hours for the 290, and kinda figured the 291 would be the same. Was time a factor? The measureup questions for the 291 seem to have been written by Leo Tolstoy, so i worry about the time it might take just to read the questions.
  • Options
    swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm writing it in 2.5 hours here myself..
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and the MCSA too :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    *Applause* Well done!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass and the new title of MCSA! :)
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratssssssss
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    tawnos wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. I'm about to hit the transcender stage as well and i'm relieved to hear they help, given their high cost.

Has the test duration always been 2hr40? I remember getting 4 hours for the 290, and kinda figured the 291 would be the same. Was time a factor? The measureup questions for the 291 seem to have been written by Leo Tolstoy, so i worry about the time it might take just to read the questions.

thanks.

Plenty of time, had an hour left to review and avoid second guessing.

Actual questions were brief, its the answers that were the tricky part.

I would endorse the use of transcenders (I found them expensive with the $ to £ exchange rate - I had the online use for a month rather than buying the CD download and it paid off on this occasion) as it got me over the line, to be sure.(guinness mode=off)
  • Options
    ahepburnahepburn Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the passing of the 70-291...... I wish you all the best in your indevers.... please tell how the 70-293 will be..... God bless
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    You beat me to it.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually thought I'd failed this exam because it was VERY difficult. 48 questions and 1 sim. 2 hours 40 min. Mostly RRAS and Security Very few DNS and IP Questions.

Weird eh? Same thing, very few DNS/IP, which of course I ended up studying the most for. I guess it wouldn't be a test if these things didn't continuously evolve and keep you on your toes though.

Same here, 48 questions, 1 sim, 2 hours 40 min. When I finished I had about 50 minutes left.

Also, just wanted to point out that I took your advise of having a beer before going to bed. I was hopped up on caffeine all day, so I believe it contributed a bit to a better sleep that night.
  • Options
    swat wrote: »
    Weird eh? Same thing, very few DNS/IP, which of course I ended up studying the most for. I guess it wouldn't be a test if these things didn't continuously evolve and keep you on your toes though.

Same here, 48 questions, 1 sim, 2 hours 40 min. When I finished I had about 50 minutes left.

Also, just wanted to point out that I took your advise of having a beer before going to bed. I was hopped up on caffeine all day, so I believe it contributed a bit to a better sleep that night.

Just a couple of Guinnesses works wonders. I would have been up half the night pretaking the exam if I hadn't done that. Moderation is the key here :)
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your MCSA!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the pass!!!! Feels good , eh? On to 293 then?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    motogpman wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!!!! Feels good , eh? On to 293 then?

Thanks for the replies, all.

No plans on the MSCE, MCSA will do nicely.

I'm now looking at Server 2008 and Vista next as I'm not very familiar with either.

Looking forward to learning about Server 2008 but at 50 years of age I'm not intending sitting any design type exams like the 293 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    Congratulations.
    I think i have problem and am very nervous about this 70-291 ( which is the only outstanding for my MCSA 2003 track for over 8 months.

For those of you that have summ up the courage to slay the beast, i say congrats again.
    Knowledge is life
  • Options
    Congratulations.
    I think i have problem and am very nervous about this 70-291 ( which is the only outstanding for my MCSA 2003 track for over 8 months.

For those of you that have summ up the courage to slay the beast, i say congrats again.

I would book an appointment with this beast, its not as bad as all that.
    Takes some studying but success is achievable, from my own experience :)