Options

Help with interview

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I'm in a situation that I find myself for the first time and I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions.

I've been at my job for about 7 months now. I was hired as a contractor from an employment agency originally for 6 months, and few weeks ago my contract was extended for another 6 months. Last week my boss who has always been really great to me suggested that I should apply for a position to work with them permanently. I have and he told me this morning that I will have an interview with him for this position tomorrow.

My first question is how should I dress? Should I wear what I usually wear to work or should I dress up more nicely? Also, what kind of questions should I be expecting? He knows what I'm capable of since I've worked with him for a long time now.

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    loss4words wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I'm in a situation that I find myself for the first time and I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions.

I've been at my job for about 7 months now. I was hired as a contractor from an employment agency originally for 6 months, and few weeks ago my contract was extended for another 6 months. Last week my boss who has always been really great to me suggested that I should apply for a position to work with them permanently. I have and he told me this morning that I will have an interview with him for this position tomorrow.

My first question is how should I dress? Should I wear what I usually wear to work or should I dress up more nicely? Also, what kind of questions should I be expecting? He knows what I'm capable of since I've worked with him for a long time now.

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks.

Always dress up with a suit/tie when going to an interview, it does not matter if you are working for them now.

When I was working my first job as the lead student tech for a college, I had been doing that three years. When I had my interview for the lead IT Tech I dressed up in suit/tie and let me tell you, they really appreciated it!

As far as questions, you can expect some of the usual interview questions, but also they probably will ask how you can improve on your current position and what plans you see for their future in your department. They will be looking for ways you can improve especially as a full time employee. I am sure others will give better insight, but prepare for this interview like any other.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Suit and Tie never hurts, but as you already "work" there I would recommend one step above what you usually wear. For instance if you usually wear jeans and a polo, then go with slacks and a button down. If you wear slacks already then go with a shirt and tie instead of polo, etc.

Agree with Sharp that you'll get the a few standard questions, but I would expect you to get a lot more on how you can help the company as a permanent employee and what your goals as a permanent employee would be. etc. As they know you and your boss put you up to applying and you interview with him, I'd say this is just a formality but you don't want to blow it by not taking it seriously.

best of luck.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    drainey wrote: »
    Suit and Tie never hurts, but as you already "work" there I would recommend one step above what you usually wear. For instance if you usually wear jeans and a polo, then go with slacks and a button down. If you wear slacks already then go with a shirt and tie instead of polo, etc.

Agree with Sharp that you'll get the a few standard questions, but I would expect you to get a lot more on how you can help the company as a permanent employee and what your goals as a permanent employee would be. etc. As they know you and your boss put you up to applying and you interview with him, I'd say this is just a formality but you don't want to blow it by not taking it seriously.

best of luck.

+1 icon_thumright.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    drainey wrote: »

best of luck.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'm not sure if this is a formality because the company is in the process of hiring someone for this position and I know they've been doing interviews all last week, today and tomorrow I won't be the only one. This is why I feel very nervous about this because even though I had time to impress my boss and co-workers I don't know if I've impressed them enough. I also don't know what my competition is.

Usually when I go to work I wear black pants and buttoned down shirt with white shirt underneath it. What would be one step above?

Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    It seems a little odd to me to dress up for an "interview" with a company you already work for and for a guy that already knows you pretty well and what kind of skills you have. I would say go with whatever you normally wear to work. The interview would probably consist of things such as "This is what the position entails" and "Would you feel comfortable doing something like that?". And maybe a few technical questions.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always think suit and tie is best, it does not matter if it is your current boss or not. Bottom line it is still an interview and it shows how important this job is to you by treating it like any other interview.
  • Options
    Had the interview today and they said that they'd let me know in 2-3 weeks what their decision is.

They asked me the same technical questions as they did 6 months ago when I was applying for a temporary position which I found funny. As far as general questions you guys pretty much nailed it. They wanted to know what I think I should do to improve and in what areas do I feel I need to improve the most, and also where do I see myself in few years from now. Even though I see these guys 5 days a week and talk with them and laugh at the same jokes, I was still very nervous during this interview and it was obviously visible. Now I'll just wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    if they're the ones that asked you to interview, it's probably just a formality.

Regardless, my personal rule is to treat every interview the same, suit and tie, and don't take anything for granted. Most managers will appreciate you taking it seriously and showing a degree of professionalism
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so... how'd it go?
  • Options
    I accidentally overheard my boss on the phone today saying they'll be hiring someone else. I feel very very disappointed. I feel like I really messed it up. On the bright side I still have until the end of September until my contract expires so I guess I should start looking soon considering how really bad I am at job interviews. I'm also thinking about going back to college to get a bachelors degree but it's already too late to apply for a fall semester. So that's my sad story of the day :)
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Sorry to didn't get the job. take this as an opportunity for growth and ask your manager what could you have done differently, etc?

You are in a unique situation where you can actually get honest feedback about your interview from your manager, rather than someone from off the street.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dont take too much disapointment from it, just remember in the current market you can get some exceptionally skilled people very cheap, it maybe the case in this situation.
    But certainly get the feedback it'll pay divedends for future interviews.

btw fwiw I suck at interviews occasionally I get a good one :-/
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Don't feel too bad. There was probably another candidate equally as good where they would't have to fork out the 10%-20% of your first years salary as a finders fee to your agency. Don't get tricked into leaving your agency and going to work for them secretly... 9/10 you will get caught and then you will really be messed up. Some companies try to to get around the finders fee and the agencies are well aware of it especially as you probably told them you were being interviewed for a permanent position.

Shows the client thinks a lot of you even to interview you.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thank you for replies, everyone. I feel a little better today after a good night's sleep :)

My new question is when would be a good time to start job hunting again? I'm guessing it's too early now, but maybe June or July since I will need to start taking days off for interviews, etc? I want to leave the agency as the last resort as they will only find temp jobs for me (if that) and I'm really looking for something more long term.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I accidentally overheard my boss on the phone today saying they'll be hiring someone else. I feel very very disappointed. I feel like I really messed it up. On the bright side I still have until the end of September until my contract expires so I guess I should start looking soon considering how really bad I am at job interviews. I'm also thinking about going back to college to get a bachelors degree but it's already too late to apply for a fall semester. So that's my sad story of the day :)

apply anyway....some schools will still do late admissions. I'm thinkin of transferring grad schools, and i know i missed the "deadline" for the school i have in mind, but i'm still going to apply. if anything, they might defer me until the spring semester....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for replies, everyone. I feel a little better today after a good night's sleep :)

My new question is when would be a good time to start job hunting again? I'm guessing it's too early now, but maybe June or July since I will need to start taking days off for interviews, etc? I want to leave the agency as the last resort as they will only find temp jobs for me (if that) and I'm really looking for something more long term.

do you HAVE to stay thru out the rest of your contract??? i mean, if you dont, i would say, start looking asap....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)