Options

What I need for Frame Relay

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,
What I need to practice about Frame Relay configuration, is two connected router with back-to-back cable is enough or I need another gear for that.

BR,
Auos.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    auos wrote: »
    Hi,
    What I need to practice about Frame Relay configuration, is two connected router with back-to-back cable is enough or I need another gear for that.

BR,
    Auos.

You can practice with two routers back to back, just set the keepalive to zero.For ccna thats all you really need, for ccnp probably better to have.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    you really cant understand frame relay without having a frame relay switch. You can use an old router as a FR switch or I think this site has an example config. What makes a full mesh or partial mesh depends on your FR switch config. Things like that is what made FR clearer to me at least.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Honestly, GNS3 (or something similar) is the absolute best you can get for FrameRelay at this level. I personally wouldn't recommend trying to hodgepodge some cheap gear together to get a full understanding of it. In GNS3 you can setup multiple routers, use a Frame Relay switch (p.s. setting up the Frame Relay switch itself isnt part of the CCNA, just setting up the routers that connect to it) and have them all work.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    aordal wrote: »
    Honestly, GNS3 (or something similar) is the absolute best you can get for FrameRelay at this level. I personally wouldn't recommend trying to hodgepodge some cheap gear together to get a full understanding of it. In GNS3 you can setup multiple routers, use a Frame Relay switch (p.s. setting up the Frame Relay switch itself isnt part of the CCNA, just setting up the routers that connect to it) and have them all work.

I would recommend getting a 2503 or similar for a FR switch. Can't beat real equipment, then know can see what happens when you mess up.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blackninja wrote: »
    I would recommend getting a 2503 or similar for a FR switch. Can't beat real equipment, then know can see what happens when you mess up.

icon_thumright.gif Couldn't agree more...
  • Options
    auosauos Member Posts: 186
    blackninja wrote: »

I have Router 2610 & 3640, can I used as FR swith instead of 2503.
    BR.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    auos wrote: »
    I have Router 2610 & 3640, can I used as FR swith instead of 2503.
    BR.

yes your gonna need a nm-4a/s or nm-8a/s to connect all your routers to
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    For the love of God use GNS3.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mattrgee wrote: »
    For the love of God use GNS3.
    Does that mean the dynamips bug/feature that always shows a pvc active has been fixed?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!