Options

Cable & DSL Internet - WIC Interface Card

BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
What type of interface card do I need to use my 2611XM with my cable/dsl ISP?

Cisco WIC-1SHDSL-V2 Original Cisco - Guaranteed - eBay (item 110324578166 end time May-09-09 13:02:47 PDT)

I was looking at this equipment, can you guys give me a 101, on what are the difference cause this is a Ver. 2.

Comments

• Options
    Are there any WIC cards that supports both SDSL and ADSL?
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953

Cisco WIC-1SHDSL-V2 Original Cisco - Guaranteed - eBay (item 110324578166 end time May-09-09 13:02:47 PDT)

I was looking at this equipment, can you guys give me a 101, on what are the difference cause this is a Ver. 2.

BroadcastStorm,

Which kind of Internet service do you have, cable or dsl?
  • Options
    I currently have Cable from RoadRunner, but it might change soon to DSL, that's why I wonder if they support both ADSL/SDSL.
  • Options
    Are there any WIC cards that supports both SDSL and ADSL?

BroadcastStorm,

Do you have both SDSL and ADSL Internet services?
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385

Do you have Cabe, ADSL or SHDSL? As the card above is for SHDSL.

I have ADSL and use a WIC-1ADSL:

Cisco WIC-1ADSL Interface Card on eBay, also Cisco, Wired Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 25-Apr-09 20:00:00 BST)

When you get the correct card, come back and we'll help you with the config.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I have, any idea how to find out without calling the ISP?
  • Options
    I currently have Cable from RoadRunner, but it might change soon to DSL, that's why I wonder if they support both ADSL/SDSL.

BroadcastStorm,

The question of ADSL and SDSL should be asked to your potential DSL Internet Service Provider. Also, ask them about their policy for letting you use your router instead of the DSL modem that the DSL Internet Service Provider is likely to send to you that they pre-configured to work for your DSL Internet Service.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I have, any idea how to find out without calling the ISP?

BroadcastStorm,

You could just guess but that probably won't help. Why are you concerned about contacting your ISP?
  • Options
    I already have a cable modem and wondered if I can find out if I have an ADSL or SDSL by checking the modem itself, I would need to call the ISP to find out what type of DSL I have.
  • Options
    BroadcastStorm,
    I already have a cable modem and wondered if I can find out if I have an ADSL or SDSL by checking the modem itself, I would need to call the ISP to find out what type of DSL I have.

I am confused. You said "...I currently haave Cable from RoadRunner..." You also said "...would need to call the ISP to find out what ytpe of DSL I have." So I ask again, which kind of Internet Service do you currently have, Cable or DSL?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For what's it worth, you may be able to do it with just an ethernet port - although you will need two interfaces (one for the ISP and another going to one of your switches).

My DSL provider uses PPPoE - so for me it was just matter of connecting my router to my cable modem with a CAT5 cable (and of course using the right config).

Originally did this with a 2514, am now using a 2621
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    For what's it worth, you may be able to do it with just an ethernet port - although you will need two interfaces (one for the ISP and another going to one of your switches).

Yup, he's right. This would work too...
  • Options
    super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys I have a question:

Say I have a 2811 and I subscribed a premium SHDSL connection from an ISP now the connection is point to point so they gave a 172.16.50.0 /30 address now from my understanding the 172.16.50.1 should be configured on the ISP's interface and the 172.16.50.2 should be configured on my router's interface. right? So let's say I configured the 172.16.50.2 to my 2811 interface now how do I route the internet traffic to my Fast Ethernet port so the computers connected to FE can surf the internet (like google.com)

What kind of interface should I use on my router for the 172.16.50.2?

Thanks
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    You will want to setup the external ip on the g.shdsl interface (providing you have one)

You will need a default route to route all traffic from the inside to you're isp.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.50.1 or (interface [external facing int])

You will also need to setup NAT (overload) for you're internal hosts, as you will be using a private address range and non-routeable on the internet.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hexem wrote: »
    You will want to setup the external ip on the g.shdsl interface (providing you have one)

You will need a default route to route all traffic from the inside to you're isp.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.50.1 or (interface [external facing int])

You will also need to setup NAT (overload) for you're internal hosts, as you will be using a private address range and non-routeable on the internet.

hey man thanks! Your very helpful:D I notice you always answer most of my questions no matter what thread I go and ask hehe

BTW what are the private address ranges?
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    No problem.

they are

10.0.0.0/8
    172.16.0.0/12
    192.168.0.0/24
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hexem wrote: »
    192.168.0.0/24
    192.168.0.0/16
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I currently have Cable from RoadRunner
    If you are trying to remove the ISPs cable modem from your network then you will want this:
    HWIC-CABLE-D-2
    Cisco Cable Modem High-Speed WAN Interface Cards Configuration Guide - Cisco Systems

Keep in mind you would need a supported router to run the card. I have one of these in my 2811 and am working on replacing my RR modem with it. Just haven't got around to calling TWC with the card's MAC address yet.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another question to ask yourself is if you have aDSL or aDSL2

aDSL can get away with the WIC-1ADSL

If your isp is aDSL2 or aDSL2+, you'll need an HWIC-1ADSL, which in turn requires an ISR such as the 1800, 2800 or 3800 series routers.

With the cable HWIC you'll need an ISR regardless.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1