Options

Studying ICND 1 for 14 days...

OmishanOmishan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
And I seem to understand all the concepts, commands, and subnetting, seems like a very short time to me, thinking about scheduling my test for next week. I got the Odom books, CBTNuggets and Lammle book. Setup my own small network with ease. I think im ready

Comments

• Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    How is your computer communication skills? Do you know the exact look of a packet and how it changes at it travels towards its destination?

You should go for it if you are ready, it is hard but not that hard.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    Morty3 wrote: »
    How is your computer communication skills? Do you know the exact look of a packet and how it changes at it travels towards its destination?

You should go for it if you are ready, it is hard but not that hard.

yea, made sense to me, just not sure what else I should focus on before I know im ready. I might just go for it next week, got some days off i can devote to review
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    If you can subnet like there is no tomorrow and feel good about the concepts then you should go for it. Not sure what your background is but 14 days sounds extremely short for this exam. I have studied for months and have a lab myself and still have not gone yet. I do have it scheduled for the end of this month.

Best of luck
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Read the exam blueprint online - if you are confident that you understand all of the material for it then go for it:)

Best of luck!
  • Options
    ULWiz wrote: »
    If you can subnet like there is no tomorrow and feel good about the concepts then you should go for it. Not sure what your background is but 14 days sounds extremely short for this exam. I have studied for months and have a lab myself and still have not gone yet. I do have it scheduled for the end of this month.

Best of luck

I work at a cable company which provides internet service, I dont work directly with routers/switches but I know a lot about networking in general

just details like what port#s go where sometimes escape me, i do remember the main important ones like ssh, telnet, http, im sure i could narrow most down on multiple choice.

Only thing that worries me is troubleshooting sims, I hope none are on it

luke_bibby wrote: »
    Read the exam blueprint online - if you are confident that you understand all of the material for it then go for it:)

Best of luck!

yep printed it out and checked off most things I know for sure, and a few id like to review. Thx guys
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Omishan wrote: »
    Only thing that worries me is troubleshooting sims, I hope none are on it
    You'll need to have spent plenty of time doing hands-on work with routers and switches, the sims on the exam will most definitely test your troubleshooting skills using scenarios like, "there are x number of routers, router number y just had abc happen to it and now the routers can't ping each other. Telnet in and find out what's gone wrong." If you're unsure of your troubleshooting abilities, I'd recommending postponing the exam. Any sims you do run into will be of this type.
    Omishan wrote: »
    yep printed it out and checked off most things I know for sure, and a few id like to review. Thx guys
    If you've checked out the exam blueprint, try doing some practice exams as well. You can find plenty of freebies online, but they won't be as good as, say, Transcender. If you're scoring 85% - 90% on practice exams, (cold, not after having done the tests a few times and remembering the answers,) then you're good to go.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    If you have the Odom book, then there are a few sims in the exam engine which comes with the book. The chapter on troubleshooting IP routing may also be worth a re-read.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    ULWiz wrote: »

Best of luck

I'll second this-- I've been working on CCNA exams off and on over the last couple years. You do hear occasionally of folks passing with only a few weeks' study, but it's pretty rare.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers