Options

CCENT Lab setup and connectivity

peteralfpeteralf Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm preparing to setup my lab for the CCENT ICND1 exam. This is what I have so far:
Cisco Catalyst 2924 xl v12.0 switch
Cisco Catalyst 3548 xl v12.0 switch
(2) Cisco 2514 v12.0 routers
(1) transceiver for AUI 0
(1) Crossover cable
(3) serial console connectors
(1) PC with XP Pro with Hyperterminal
The switches are configured with an ip address and telneting into the switches is setup.
I'm thinking a Cisco 2950 xl v12.1 switch is needed as well, I'm told you can get the upgrade IOS v12.4 very easily but so far no luck.
I've tried setting up a vlan trunk between the switches but no luck. Can somebody advise me in how to setup my home based lab.
I keep a print of the CCNA logo on my bookcase. Keep my eye on the prize.
Thank you much for any help.

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Switch IOS can be upgraded with a guest login. I would recommend making an account as there are also good study materials on the Cisco website.

First find the model in Product Support - Cisco Systems

If you can't find it there you can always search it out. Download the image you need and then upload to switch with t-f-t-p server.

As far as setting it up, it all depends upon what you are trying to do. CCENT you'll need to know basic commands, ie. set hostname, passwords, etc, and how to configure RIP routing. For that you'll need some back-to-back serial DCE-DTE cables between the routers.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some thoughts on your equipment
    Cisco Catalyst 2924 xl v12.0 switch
    Cisco Catalyst 3548 xl v12.0 switch

Not bad for learning some basics with the Cisco switches. Your idea to get at least one 2950 is a good one. Those models use the more up-to-date commands.

(2) Cisco 2514 v12.0 routers
    (1) transceiver for AUI 0

As long as you already have 2 2514's, you might was well go ahead and get three more transceivers so that you can use all of your AUI interfaces. A 2514 can be upgraded to 12.3 IP Plus if you have 16/16 memory-wise.

(1) Crossover cable
    (3) serial console connectors
    (1) PC with XP Pro with Hyperterminal

Hopefully the serial cables are DTE/DCE.

Look through the FAQs and do a forum search on labs for more ideas.

Good luck with it!

:)