Failed with a 740 need advice

ItsTheLionItsTheLion Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here but glad I found this site! I failed the syo-201 with a 740. I used the exam cram and the sybex book to study with and felt I had them down. They didnt cover everything I saw on the exam. I am looking for some suggestions of study material besides these sources and maybe some encouraging remarks lol. Thank you to whoever replies!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you've done all that, you might want to just download the exam objectives and spend some time on Google, Wikipedia, etc. It's a nice change of pace from being stuck in a book too. You might also want to check out a practice exam like Transcender. I don't think they've released an updated one yet, but the old one is still quite applicable.

Good luck on your retake and welcome to the forums.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes, welcome to the forum and welcome to cert hell! hahh
    hhah

man I know how you feel a lot of us do. failing an exam just sucks.
    but you just get up and get back on the horse and ride the IT horse!
    I failed the 284 2x I said what is this??I have never seen this..in my books. but 1 year later passed 640-802 CCNA exam and then I felt better.
    you can do it! it is a long hard road but you can make iticon_cheers.gif

Like I have always said. College is easy it doesnt move like certs exams do!.....
  • ItsTheLionItsTheLion Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I am going to study the tech notes on here and go the google/wiki route. Thanks for the replies guys. I was considering not taking it again but its pissed me off so much that I have a score to settle and I WILL kill it next time.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    740! that's like 1 wrong answer.
    Man that was bad luck icon_silent.gif be sure to review your weak points.

With what did you had trouble in the test? Things that were not covered in the book?
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • ItsTheLionItsTheLion Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Andretii wrote: »
    740! that's like 1 wrong answer.
    Man that was bad luck icon_silent.gif be sure to review your weak points.

With what did you had trouble in the test? Things that were not covered in the book?

lol Yeah I sat in amazement for a little while realizing that I missed it by 1 question.

The book in my opinion didn't go in depth enough on certain things. I missed a few questions on virtualization. The sybex book covers this in one short paragraph but I think I had 3 question on it. Missed a couple on session key questions and some cryptography things. I know everything the book says about cryptography but some of the questions seemed like I had never scene the terminology they were using.

My advice to anyone taking the exam is to google/wiki things like IPsec so you know the whole process.

Im gonna try and get the security guys at my work to train me on some of this stuff this week.
  • arnabmkarnabmk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the same score when I gave it the first time. I went through CBT nuggets, Sybex and *********. I would like to tell you ********* has questions which are very similar to the actual exam. I was amazed when I saw ********* after I had given the exam the first time. If I had it before, I would have probably passed it the first time. I scored 895 when I gave it the second time. However I had read the Sybex Book atleast thrice (till I knew what was to follow in the next page) and went through CBT nuggets twice.

I am sure you will nail it the second time.