Options

Passed!

sott3sott3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed 70-293 on the first try thing morning, with a respectable score in the mid-800's. Couple notes for y'all:
- 3 or 4 simulations towards the beginning of the test, and they were all really easy.
- Gotta know your PKI/CA stuff. I spent extra time studying this and doing labs, and it paid off.
- Couple of questions about DNS with Unix servers
- Couple mentions of using ISA Server 2000 for VPN/routing
- Should have spent a little more time refreshing my DNS knowledge, as it's been a while since I took 70-291.
- Know about using GPOs
- No SUS, which is too bad because I know that really well
- No conversions of ip addresses to binary, though I'm glad to have still learned that (again...seems like something I have to re-learn every five years).

The test didn't really throw me any curveballs. I used Trasnscenders, the official MS study guide, some from the Minasi book and MS Technet labs. Transcenders were a pretty good measure for the exam.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Hey Congratulations!!! :D

I plan to take the test in about 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing your experience with taking the test. I really need to set up a lab with PKI. Any pointers?
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    sott3sott3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    Hey Congratulations!!! :D

I plan to take the test in about 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing your experience with taking the test. I really need to set up a lab with PKI. Any pointers?

Here is the Microsoft Technet lab I used:
    TechNet Virtual Lab: Security with Windows Server 2003

Based on the questions I got, you'd want to focus on: CA infrastructure, revoking a cert and publishing the new CRL, security for a CA (i.e. who can issue a cert), using the cert templates and setting which users can manage the certs. All you should need for your lab is a server CA and a client, where you can play around with issuing certs and such.
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Wooo!! Congrats!
  • Options
    ElwoodBluesElwoodBlues Member Posts: 117
    sott3 wrote: »
    Here is the Microsoft Technet lab I used:
    TechNet Virtual Lab: Security with Windows Server 2003

Based on the questions I got, you'd want to focus on: CA infrastructure, revoking a cert and publishing the new CRL, security for a CA (i.e. who can issue a cert), using the cert templates and setting which users can manage the certs. All you should need for your lab is a server CA and a client, where you can play around with issuing certs and such.

I have went thru this lab twice and I cannot make it work for me. I get an error when I try to apply attributes (Encrypt via Certificate) and it also tells me that Recovery Policy configuration is invalid for recovery certificate (same error box). This is in the first exercise and I spend all my time troublshooting in lieu of performing the lab.

I have followed every step listed by the instructions, did this happen to anyone else or am I just "special"?
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the headsup. Looks like there is a lot of overlap from 291.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz!

bowing.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congratulations!!!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Plan on tackling this a little over a 2 weeks or so.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice job on the pass!