Options

71-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Par for the course is something like 3 - 6 months after the exam goes live, but sometimes they do it sooner. You won't be seeing an official study guide for the beta exam, though.

Actually I was just on the technet blog and i read a post saying"

"I just finished the Prep Guide so it will be posted in a few days. Yes, 70-680 will count towards the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 and MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician 7"
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Actually I was just on the technet blog and i read a post saying"

"I just finished the Prep Guide so it will be posted in a few days. Yes, 70-680 will count towards the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 and MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician 7"
    Sweet! Got a link to that message?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409

UPDATE! It's now listed on the MS Learning site - haven't taken an indepth look at it, but it looks like it's similar to the 620 exam.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cool. A lot more being tested than I thought. This one looks to be more focused on the Enterprise than the Consumer like the 620 was. A lot harder.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, that looks much more like an enterprise exam. Deployment, EFS, NTFS, user profiles, application restrictions, IPv6, remote management, powershell, etc. I haven't even heard of some of the things like BranchCache. I'm way behind icon_sad.gif

I think I'll be scheduling this for the last possible day. Fingers crossed Prometric doesn't have any problems then...
  • Options
    okay, so I obviously didn't look at the exam info very closely...I scanned it over while at work & did initially see the part about IPv6 and went "awww crap!", but now that I take another look at it, I'm in agreement with dynamik & PC509 - it's more detailed & less non-domain-user-based than the 620 is/was. Hrm. I'd never heard of BranchCache either, but in doing some googling, it sounds pretty cool. Later this week, I'll have to take some time to really go through the proposed objectives/topics line by line & start digging deeper into Windows 7. And I'm with you dynamik, assuming I get a beta spot, I'll be taking this on the LAST possible day!

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BranchCache rocks ;) it's one of the R2 features I'm waiting impatiently for.
  • Options
    I just heard about BranchCache and its a really cool idea
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Just watched the video on BranchCache... Sounds awesome! I can't wait for this Beta... I think I'll be up at midnight attempting to get in! :D
  • Options
    gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Apart from downloading, installing and messing around with Windows 7, what other resources are available for preparing for this test?
  • Options
    gwamaka wrote: »
    Apart from downloading, installing and messing around with Windows 7, what other available resources are available for preparing for this test?
    TechNet is going to be your best resource along with hands-on.
  • Options
    gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    TechNet is going to be your best resource along with hands-on.

Great, thanks ! When the registration begins, I am assumming it will be from 12:00a.m PST is this correct? Some of us in the midwest might need to wake up at 2:00a.m if we would like to be one of the early birds.
  • Options
    Great, thanks ! When the registration begins, I am assumming it will be from 12:00a.m PST is this correct? Some of us in the midwest might need to wake up at 2:00a.m if we would like to be one of the early birds.
    I've never heard of a beta filling up in the 1st day before, I'm sure you can wait until 6 or 7am ;)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Wow, those were some good videos. I love the "problem steps recording" feature. Windows 7 really rocks. I am so very impressed with it. I'm hoping to have time to play with the deployment features this weekend.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, those were some good videos. I love the "problem steps recording" feature. Windows 7 really rocks. I am so very impressed with it. I'm hoping to have time to play with the deployment features this weekend.

Agree 100% - I installed Windows 7 now on my workstation and I have yet to find a program which doesn't work on it .. never even crashed on me (Vista retail crashed more than the W7 Beta :D).

The only "program" which doesn't really work 100% is the NVIDIA Control Panel (using latest Beta too). But apart from that - awesome OS - looking forward to the final product.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    .. never even crashed on me

LOL - should have shut my mouth. Just had to perform a system restore which worked 100% :p

Screen went dark after a while - so it was either a blank screensaver or it went into sleep. Basically it didn't wake up anymore and even the boot loader was bust when doing a hard reset. So I guess it went into sleep which isn't a good idea with hardware Raid (Adaptec 5805) - its a known problem as it takes bloody ages (or it doesn't work at all on Windows 7).

But like I say - restore worked perfectly (restore points ftw. :P)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    More news from the learning-front: MSL community: Windows 7 Learning Portal NOW LIVE

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Suggestion: can we get a category "Windows 7 exams" or similar?

W7 seems cool, good luck to all you early adopters(sp?)!

/creamy
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    Suggestion: can we get a category "Windows 7 exams" or similar?

Good idea really.
  • Options
    JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□

Per the blog: "To register in North America, please call: Prometric: (800) 755-EXAM (800-755-3926)"

Per Prometric: "The office is open Monday - Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. Eastern Time; closed on local holidays."
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Well im signed up.....stupid effing test centers in my area didnt have any weekend dates available and ONLY had the 5th and 6th so that reduces my study time quite a bit. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's up right now. I registered for May 14th. :D

9pm PST = 12am EST. ;)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Signed up for May 8th for me. Too bad there wasn't anything earlier.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I just changed it to a weekend but im gonna have to drive to the Boston area. I hope I pass
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mine's on the 18th. Out of curiosity, how many seats do they offer for a beta, worldwide?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Mine's on the 18th. Out of curiosity, how many seats do they offer for a beta, worldwide?

I have no clue but im just glad that I got oneicon_lol.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have no clue but im just glad that I got oneicon_lol.gif
    Likewise...5 of my team of 11 have signed up too. Not too long before seats run out or prometric's servers die...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Sigh, everyone and their MAMA must be signing up for this thing. The Prometric site is all hung up and I can't schedule an exam, ACK!!