Options

71-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So it seems that the problem was at the Prometric website (or they just re-opened due to the complains received everywhere) .. because

I JUST REGISTERED FOR THE 18TH :D:D:D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Well said skrpune. I hate it when people get it in their head that they are entitled to something like this and that others aren't.

Luckily I was able to register for the 6th, I'll let you all know how it goes next week.
    Thanks, and glad to hear you got in and also glad to hear that others are able to get in now too. Whether it was a problem with the Prometric site or whether MS decided to open it up wider because of feedback left on the MS blogs, I don't know - but hopefully people will appreciate the opportunity they're being given to get a first look at the exam and to give some good feedback, & hopefully MS won't be drastically changing their beta exam process because of this. I for one would be saddened if they went back to invite only for all future betas because people got all cranky.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    this is what the Technet site says:

" We just increased the available beta slots. Please keep in mind these will go terribly fast and, like every beta exam we’ve ever offered, is still on a first come, first served basis.
    Also, I'd like to mention that the whole point of a beta exam, as some have mentioned, is to gather statistics and comments from candidates who take the exam rather than providing a chance to certify for free. In exchange for your help in giving us statistics we need, we offer a free exam in the way of thanks. Having qualified and novice candidates are both helpful in this process.
    Good luck, and thanks again for your enthusiasm!"
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just got in for the 18th at 9am. It seemed like there are quite a few spots available around here. Prometric's site did take forever to load, so be patient if you're still trying to get in.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I suppose that since it is a Client exam, and is likely to be a testers first MS exam, it does makes sense to allow non-certified BETA testers an opportunity. I still think there should be reserved slots for professionals as well... This would guarantee a good mix of beta testers. I do not believe that certain Beta exams should be available to just anyone though.

Hehe... I was only half paying attention this morning when I had my prometric screen up and selected a testing center i had never tested at before.... Since that is the same window I had up all day, I'm signed up for a testing center that is farther away, but I don't care. What did I expect at 4am.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CODE IS GOOD AGAIN> SIGN UP NOW
    Born to Learn
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    skrpune wrote: »
    There are some harsh judgements being made about the non-advanced cert-holders and non-technet members (like me) who are taking this exam. I think everyone needs to just chill and try to play nice. Just my two cents.

If it's any consolation, you'll probably be better prepared for this exam than I will as I am already busy with Exchange certification efforts and won't have much time to dedicate to Win7. Of course, I wouldn't be taking it if I didn't think I could pass it.

What I am aguing for is a different voucher number and some seats set aside for partners and/or cert holders. People who already have certs are more likely to take the exam when it initially goes into production than someone taking Windows7 as their first exam. Current cert holders really are the target audience and would give you the best feedback and pass/fail stats because of their previous experience with Microsoft and other vendor exams. Also, the certification requirements to maintain partership levels with vendors are what drives the demand and the salaries for certified individuals. I don't think setting aside some seats for partners is asking too much.
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gif

I am glad that I got in finally when they increased the seats. I got my exam time at 5-18-09 at 9 am. I have used Windows 7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) but not in last month or so due to job and 70-620 studying.

I want to do well on this one but I am concentrating right now on the Vista exam. I know everyone says it's easy, but this will be my first MS exam and I am a little overanxious (even though I have the 2nd shot voucher). I am not a good test taker, and like a lot of people have said on here, this exam is hard to get motivated to study for. icon_study.gif

If we pass the 71-680 exam, what will the credit go towards? Assuming I pass the 70-620 exam, that will be my client exam, so the W7 will be my elective? Sorry if this is redundant and has been asked a lot.

Good luck to everyone taking this exam.

While I am looking forward to Windows 7, after studying for the Vista exam, it has made me see that Vista is not THAT bad...though it isnt THAT good either icon_wink.gif XP still ROCKS
    It will be interesting to see how W7 comes out to RTM.
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hehe... I was only half paying attention this morning when I had my prometric screen up and selected a testing center i had never tested at before.... Since that is the same window I had up all day, I'm signed up for a testing center that is farther away, but I don't care. What did I expect at 4am.

You should be able to reschedule since you are already "in". I totally forgot that my original date (14th) would not work out since I'll be at home with my boy that day and had to reschedule for the 13th.
  • Options
    You should be able to reschedule since you are already "in". I totally forgot that my original date (14th) would not work out since I'll be at home with my boy that day and had to reschedule for the 13th.

Yeah, I didn't want to jinx myself.... But... I did went ahead and rescheduled anyway. Thanks!
  • Options
    Breadfan wrote: »
    icon_cheers.gif

I am glad that I got in finally when they increased the seats. I got my exam time at 5-18-09 at 9 am. I have used Windows 7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) but not in last month or so due to job and 70-620 studying.

I want to do well on this one but I am concentrating right now on the Vista exam. I know everyone says it's easy, but this will be my first MS exam and I am a little overanxious (even though I have the 2nd shot voucher). I am not a good test taker, and like a lot of people have said on here, this exam is hard to get motivated to study for. icon_study.gif

If we pass the 71-680 exam, what will the credit go towards? Assuming I pass the 70-620 exam, that will be my client exam, so the W7 will be my elective? Sorry if this is redundant and has been asked a lot.

Good luck to everyone taking this exam.

While I am looking forward to Windows 7, after studying for the Vista exam, it has made me see that Vista is not THAT bad...though it isnt THAT good either icon_wink.gif XP still ROCKS
    It will be interesting to see how W7 comes out to RTM.

Actually it is good to study for the Visa exam even if people say it is easy. I passed quite a few Microsoft exams and didn't study for the Vista one because it was "easy" - funnily enough it is the only exam I ever failed at the first time. Unless you check out all tools available in Vista you might fail - so keep studying - you won't regred it ..

As for the client exam, it SHOULD be counting towards the MCITP:EA for example, at least this is what happened when Vista was released .. it also counted then towards the MCSE 2003 as Client exam .. But of course - no guarantee :) It doesn't hurt to have this is as a single exam though. I think it is good to have more than just one client exam. It shows future employer that you stay up2date with the technologies ... We just got an applicant who said he is highly skilled as he is MCSE in NT4 - that doesn't even count in our consideration :)

EDIT:
    Credit Toward Certification
    When you pass Exam 70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring, you complete the requirements for the following certification(s):
    MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration
    Exam 70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring: counts as credit toward the following certification(s):
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exams/70-680.aspx
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Prometric's website was sure taking a beating... scheduled for May 14th at 12:30 :D

Going to be a busy month with exams this month since it will be the 3rd. Had to postpone my 70-620 till May 4th since I was ill when I had it scheduled in April. Then the 70-640 on the 28th of May.

Good luck all :)

Were in similar boats.

I've already passed 620 but im taking 680 on the 6th and 640 on the 30th. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Don't worry, Skrpune, we got your back. icon_cool.gif

If anyone tells you that you don't have enough certs, I know myself, and many other members will more than likely be able to say the same to them icon_lol.gif

I think there is valid concern about people who aren't legitimately interested in the exam, and I think it would be a good idea to set aside/reserve seats or allow early registration for partners, MCSEs, MCITPs, etc.

I also liked the suggestion to just chill; after all, it is only a beta ;)
  • Options
    littlehoopslittlehoops Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just booked my exam for the 18th May! That should give me enough time to try and lern it all!!! I hope I pass!!!

Good Luck Every One!!!!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Got myself signed up for 2pm on Saturday, May 16th. Here's to hoping we'll have an abundance of Windows 7 experts before all is said and done. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Oh man I would feel so "pathetic" if I fail considering how many 08 exams I got :p
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    15th for me. I'm lucky I checked the thread again or else I would have never checked if they added more seats.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, you'll probably be better prepared for this exam than I will as I am already busy with Exchange certification efforts and won't have much time to dedicate to Win7. Of course, I wouldn't be taking it if I didn't think I could pass it.

What I am aguing for is a different voucher number and some seats set aside for partners and/or cert holders. People who already have certs are more likely to take the exam when it initially goes into production than someone taking Windows7 as their first exam. Current cert holders really are the target audience and would give you the best feedback and pass/fail stats because of their previous experience with Microsoft and other vendor exams. Also, the certification requirements to maintain partership levels with vendors are what drives the demand and the salaries for certified individuals. I don't think setting aside some seats for partners is asking too much.
    Meh, I didn't take any offense - sticks & stones. I know it wasn't a targeted insult at me or others, and I wasn't hurt or anything, but it doesn't mean that it's right to lash out. I was just saying that folks shouldn't go tossing out insults to those who got in on it before it got all locked up.

• Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I think the bottom line is that if you were THAT interested, you should have been there at 12:01 signing up for the exam.

I stayed up late, signed up and am now groggy all day because of it, but i got in. ;)
  • Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Jordus wrote: »
    I think the bottom line is that if you were THAT interested, you should have been there at 12:01 signing up for the exam.

I stayed up late, signed up and am now groggy all day because of it, but i got in. ;)

+1 :P

I got in at 3pm New Zealand time but I was logging in every 20-30mins to check if it was there yet :) another hour later my mate tried and it was full :O. Had to be quick for this one!
  • Options
    You know, looking back through the thread today I see that there's been a lot of drama going on with the beta signups. Even my coworker had trouble finding a slot just ten minutes after I'd signed up, and he was looking at the same testing center I was.

So, I probably shouldn't talk too loudly about how I strolled into work at 11am today, sat down at my desk, read webcomics for a few minutes while I waited for my coffee to drip, then hopped on the Prometric site and nabbed the exact testing slot I was hoping for. . . icon_lol.gif

• Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You know, looking back through the thread today I see that there's been a lot of drama going on with the beta signups. Even my coworker had trouble finding a slot just ten minutes after I'd signed up, and he was looking at the same testing center I was.

So, I probably shouldn't talk too loudly about how I strolled into work at 11am today, sat down at my desk, read webcomics for a few minutes while I waited for my coffee to drip, then hopped on the Prometric site and nabbed the exact testing slot I was hoping for. . . icon_lol.gif

No....You shouldn't! icon_lol.gif

Just kidding! Of course! Good luck on the exam!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was able to sign up around 2:30pm EST after they opened more slots.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I was able to sign up around 2:30pm EST after they opened more slots.
    Which are now all full. Ridiculous. I've never seen a beta exam fill up like this - not even close - that was loony. :)
  • Options
    HemisFearHemisFear Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm so angry about this. I logged onto the site this morning just to see if it was listed and it was. Unfortunately I was reading the initial invitation to register for the exam and it said to call, so right as I had a date and location selected sitting on front of me I closed my browser and took about anther 5 minutes to get in touch wtih Prometric on the phone. As I spoke with the woman on the phone she told me 'sorry, this just filled up and isn't available anymore'.

So now I don't get the beta and the 70-640 is looking like it's going to kick my butt icon_sad.gif
    ---===The darkest hour is just before the dawn of day===---
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Don't worry, Skrpune, we got your back. icon_cool.gif

If anyone tells you that you don't have enough certs, I know myself, and many other members will more than likely be able to say the same to them icon_lol.gif

I think there is valid concern about people who aren't legitimately interested in the exam, and I think it would be a good idea to set aside/reserve seats or allow early registration for partners, MCSEs, MCITPs, etc.

I also liked the suggestion to just chill; after all, it is only a beta ;)
    thanks man, nice to know you gots my back. icon_thumright.gif

I just find it somewhat amusing that there is so much drama and hub-bub about this exam. People are very excited about Windows 7 so I kinda expected there to be a lot of folks signing up for the exam, but MAN - filled up...twice?!?! GEEZ!

• Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    I just find it somewhat amusing that there is so much drama and hub-bub about this exam.
    Especially people who got angry because they missed out. I say, if you're upset about missing the beta for this one, demand your money back. icon_wink.gif

• Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Especially people who got angry because they missed out. I say, if you're upset about missing the beta for this one, demand your money back. icon_wink.gif

Yea, well, I'm upset I couldn't use the second shot! icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea, well, I'm upset I couldn't use the second shot! icon_cry.gif
    My heart bleeds for ya. . . <gets out the tiny violin> icon_lol.gif

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is what the MS Technet site says about the exam:

"For the record we had the same number of slots for this beta exam as others. Unfortunately they went in the first hour or so. I then *quadrupled* the number of beta slots we normally have and you still burned through those in several hours. Sorry we ran though the extra slots. It is absolutely nutty the demand we've had for this beta. At this point we're worried about having more data than we can crunch before release. Thank you to everyone who is or tried to get signed up! It is great to see such excitement. We appreciate your support."