Options

Should I buy Cisco PIX 515 firewall

i.cloudi.cloud Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I have a second chance offer Cisco PIX 515 firewall $290 US dollars on eBay. I wonder should I buy this PIX for my home lab at this price ($290) or it is too expensive. I know nothing about PIX and just trying to pick up one to learn it. Thank you.
Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(3)
Device Manager Version 6.0(3)

Compiled on Tue 06-Nov-07 19:50 by builders
System image file is "flash:/pix803.bin"
Config file at boot was "startup-config"

pixfirewall up 20 secs

Hardware:   PIX-515, 64 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHz
Flash i28F640J5 @ 0x300, 16MB
BIOS Flash AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

0: Ext: Ethernet0           : address is 0003.6bf6.f36a, irq 11
 1: Ext: Ethernet1           : address is 0003.6bf6.f36b, irq 10
 2: Ext: Ethernet2           : address is 0003.479a.fcfd, irq 9

Licensed features for this platform:
Maximum Physical Interfaces  : 3
Maximum VLANs                : 10
Inside Hosts                 : Unlimited
Failover                     : Disabled
VPN-DES                      : Enabled
VPN-3DES-AES                 : Enabled
Cut-through Proxy            : Enabled
Guards                       : Enabled
URL Filtering                : Enabled
Security Contexts            : 0
GTP/GPRS                     : Disabled
VPN Peers                    : Unlimited

This platform has a Restricted (R) license.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    It's not a bad price, and it seems like the restricted vs. unrestricted license should have minimal impact to a home lab experience.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccsp/26036-cisco-pix-515e-restricted-license.html#post173689

The PIX515 with 8.x code is still very recent technology. SSL VPN and EIGRP routing on a PIX to name a couple of interesting features...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I couldn't afford an ASA of my own... doesn't help that I want a 5520 or better... so I also have a 515 running 8.0 code, and it's a great addition to any SP lab.

The code is very similar to the ASA 8.0, but there are a few differences... you should snag the "Cisco ASA, PIX and FWSM Firewall Handbook" by David Hucaby. He shows a tonne of configuration commands, and how they differ between the ASA and PIX.

I guess the question comes down to your purpose in getting it... you mentioned that you want to "learn it". If that's a work-related goal, then don't hesitate... snag it. If you're planning on using it to work towards the CCSP, it'll help, but the SNAF exam is so heavily weighted in favour of the ASA that you'll want to save up to get one. Fortunately, we run two pairs (5520's and 5540's) in our UAT lab that I didn't have to score them myself.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I am gonna grab it and as well as the book you recommended. I am always scare to learn firewall but now it is time to hit the ...wall, I think it will be having a lot of funs to play with it.
  • Options
    Hi guys

I just grabbed this beast and hoped to learn something about it. Unfortunately my first hand experience with this pix was that it crashed and reboot itself occasionally. I also saw red LEDs coming from the PIX on the main board next to the power supply. The power supply was still running though. I am not quite sure if the red LEDs indicated some hardware problems or of some sorts. Hope you can shed a light on me. Thanks.
  • Options
    If you have a same Cisco PIX 515, do you notice some red LEDs (light) on the main board next to the power supply? I hope you guys can give me some helps on this one.
  • Options
    No one have this PIX 515? Is the red LED light is normal?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    i.cloud wrote: »
    No one have this PIX 515? Is the red LED light is normal?
    I've not run a 515 without the lid on for a long time but I think the LED is always on. I can't check because we got rid of the 515 a long time ago now.
  • Options
    This PIX gave me real problems. Reloaded itself and crashed quite often.

Gosh!!! I returned this PIX back to the seller and got my money back. I lost my money on postage though but I am a happy man now :)