cannot increase Java memory heap...

snickeredsnickered Posts: 25Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Router and Security Device Manager in Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System Configuration Example [Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)] - Cisco Systems says that I need to increase the Java memory heap size to be 256MB in order to configure IOS IPS. I follow the document and put "-Xmx256m" in the Java control panel and it still doesn't work. I enter in the values then restart Firefox (tried with IE also) and then visit the SDM. As soon as I go to the IOS IPS configuration screen it says I need to increase the Java heap size. Also, when I look in the Java control panel the value I set (-Xmx256m) is gone.

Has anyone had this issue? Is everyone else able to use the IOS IPS screen?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    It works fine when you find the magical combination of java, SDM, and IOS versions... and maybe platform too.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tech-airmantech-airman Posts: 953Member
    snickered wrote: »
    Router and Security Device Manager in Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System Configuration Example [Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)] - Cisco Systems says that I need to increase the Java memory heap size to be 256MB in order to configure IOS IPS. I follow the document and put "-Xmx256m" in the Java control panel and it still doesn't work. I enter in the values then restart Firefox (tried with IE also) and then visit the SDM. As soon as I go to the IOS IPS configuration screen it says I need to increase the Java heap size. Also, when I look in the Java control panel the value I set (-Xmx256m) is gone.

Has anyone had this issue? Is everyone else able to use the IOS IPS screen?

snickered,

Which version of the JRE do you have?
  • snickeredsnickered Posts: 25Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was working with the latest version of JRE (6 Update 13) and couldn't get it to work. I also tried update 5 and 7 with no joy. My winning combination turned out to be:

IOS: 12.4(15)T8
    SDM: 2.5
    JRE: 6 Update 11

Another weird thing is that Firefox doesn't work while IE does. All of this is on a 1760 router and my desktop is Vista Business x64.