Options

Failed w/ 677

kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
I failed this exam on 4/13. This was the second shot. It seems that the format is different now, for the better. It does not feel like you are being tricked. It seems like Microsoft is now testing more like cisco, no 4 paragraph questions with useless info, they just want to know if you know the material.

I dont feel bad because of this fail. I studied my a$$ off and gave it my best shot. The first shot I receive 0% on RRAS, this time it was the longest bar (about 90%).

Marterial used:
Preplogic's audio (listened to this about 30 times. This helped tons! Brain washin' at its best!)

Testout. Great Product! (Looked at co-workers copy. Will buy a copy for myself after I get promoted.

Syngress 291 Great product.

Exam Cram 291 Good product.

Exam Cram 290 (WSUS chapter)

O'reilly Core Required Exams (Great book! I will buy Stanek's AD book when I go for the 70-294.)

Self Test 291 (Good product. Found it buggy on the old system I am using- don't know if its the system or the product.)

Chris Bryant's CCNA study pack. Brushed up on subnetting. This pack is GREAT. If you are going for CCNA, its a must have.

Studied about 10 questions on examsimulators until I found out it was a ****. Fortunately I did not see anything on the test that was on the few questions I looked at on this crap.

Installed Server 2003 with VMware server 'til my system died.

I am reading a lot more at work. Instead of surfing the net at slow times, like everyone else does, I open my book(s). Its cool because my supervisor notices things like this. Some of the guys in my location have been infecting our systems so security is watching us like a hawk. Why take a chance, might as well get certified instead surf the net. The main site I would visit of course is this one.

Good luck to everyone else studying for this one. Sorry for such a long post.

Kenny831

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    kenny831 wrote: »
    The first shot I receive 0% on RRAS

Your not alone icon_wink.gif

You only missed it by 1, maybe 2 questions. Stick with it and you'll get it next time. icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep going.

Whne you pass the exam, you will be an expert in infrastructure, you will really know RAS, dns, dhcp, etc, etc.

Keep going, you will pass.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    You probably only failed by one question, two at the most. Use the printout you received from the testing center and study your weak areas and I'm sure you'll pass next time icon_thumright.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kenny, like others have said, you only missed by one or two questions. Review the areas you missed and I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors next time!
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep trying, you can do it.

Have you tried CBT Nuggets at all? I found it to be an excellent supplement to the MS Press books.

Do you have a lab at home? I found the best thing to do was for each section, do the practices, and just randomly hop on and try to set things up and break them.. see them in practice, etc.

Good luck!
  • Options
    swat wrote: »
    Keep trying, you can do it.

Have you tried CBT Nuggets at all? I found it to be an excellent supplement to the MS Press books.

Do you have a lab at home? I found the best thing to do was for each section, do the practices, and just randomly hop on and try to set things up and break them.. see them in practice, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for all of the support and great advice.

Swat, I did have a lab (VMware Virtual Lab) and I did practice a bit, until my Mobo died on my system. Parts are on the way for a new build.

Thank you all,

Kenny831
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    give it another try cause your almost there
  • Options
    Luke1978Luke1978 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep going pal. I used TestOut, CBT nuggets, Self paced book and Transcender Exams. It took me over a year to study for this exam and i passed it on the 2nd attempt last Friday. It is hard but keep trying and get hold of transcender mate. Top draw material.
  • Options
    BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    sorry about that mate but am telling you now you will kill it for the 3rd time,
    i will be taking the beast too by June, give me some hint since you have been there.
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Bulletz wrote: »
    sorry about that mate but am telling you now you will kill it for the 3rd time,
    i will be taking the beast too by June, give me some hint since you have been there.

Thanks all for the encouragement!

Butlletz, I really don't know how much I can say without breaking the NDA. Study RRAS, WSUS 3.0 (covered in Oriely's core required exams, Stanek is the author) Heck, it seems that everything across the board is covered almost evenly now. DNS does not seem to be the dominant topic. Get comfortable with all of the material. Read Exam cram before your test. Give it a week- a chapter a day.

If you have Selftest or Transcender, make sure you update it. The new testing style is similar to the new download.

Gotta run now.

Good luck.

Kenny831.
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Good luck for the nest time
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    tawnostawnos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any good guides to test material for wsus online somewhere outside of slogging through the entire technet archive? I have the old version of the mspress book that doesn't have the section that includes wsus, and while i've read some of it i don't think i can justify bringing a pen and paper to barnes and noble to take notes on it. I haven't even been able to find it online through less than legal means (which normally i wouldn't do but having bought the book only to have them modify it and the test irks me).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just download it and play around with it a bit. Go through all the options, and you'll learn everything you need to know.
  • Options
    sarpanchsarpanch Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    same thing me bro i failed by just 1 mark.got 699 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    sarpanch wrote: »
    same thing me bro i failed by just 1 mark.got 699 icon_sad.gif

699?!?!?! WTF? They should have rounded up for this one. Dude that sucks. I know you'll get on the next shot. Hope you have a 2nd shot left. Dont give up now!

Good luck man.