Options

Is More Better ???

KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm just starting out on my path to certification. I've almost completed an Information Systems Administration Diploma and have gained some valuable work experience through my college's cooperative education program. I'm planning to gain some certs related to network admin.

What I am wondering though is there any real advantage to gaining certifications that aren't directly related to your area of work?

It seems to me that if you go into a job interview and you have something that others do not have it can only be to your advantage. For instance, say you're applying for a network admin position. You have a host of related certs but you also happen to hold a cert or two related to database or web development. Is this a worthwhile advantage? To me it seems like a great way to represent additional skills.

Although I realize there is a point where the certs you hold become 'optimal' in relation to cost and benefit, is there a point where you can simply have too many certs? A point where it actually works against you?

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I don't believe that you can have too many certs. It is always something that you can fall back on. Where you can get into too much troulble is when you list them all on your resume...Here is why:

the more certs you list = the more they think they will have to pay you
    the more certs you list = the more questions you may get during an interview....Even questions that will not pertain to the job you are applying for..(This has happened to me)

After making that mistake, I do what I should have been doing the whole time. I tweak my resume for the position that I am seeking. I do not list any certs that would be overkill for that position. You do not want to look "over qualified" for the position. I hated hearing those words..

So, personally, I feel that you can not have too many certs....but in certain situation, you can list too many certs..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Try to focus in one area that your interested in so it can be valuable to the company.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    That’s one way to look at it...Or you can try multiple things that will be more valuable to "you"...You will not be at that company your whole life. You can focus your energies in one area..but it is always nice to have something to fall back on.. :D There are many people looking out for the company, but there is only one person looking out for you. icon_wink.gif

Also, if you are just starting out in the industry, I would try as many things as possible. You never know what you will end up liking. "You don't know what you don't know"
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    Also, if you are just starting out in the industry, I would try as many things as possible. You never know what you will end up liking. "You don't know what you don't know"

That's one reason I'm glad I took a diploma program that had a cooperative education component. My program covered all the bases including web design, programming, database and database security, networking, computer hardware, etc, etc... and the coop work I've done has given me some experience with systems analysis, web design (asp), database maintenance, network port mapping, Internet tech support (loved it!), support staff training (made me think I might want to teach one day) and formatting content for WebCT. Being able to experience a bit of everything is helping me decide what I want to focus on. The part of the program that really turned my crank was network security. So I'm aiming for some basic network admin experience and related certs to get me started.

Right now I'm working as a temp in our college's IT Division - Distributed Learning Dept. I can't believe all the cool toys... including a 7' telescope that is controlled remotely from hundreds of miles away. So much to see and experience!
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jack of all trades, but master of none.

A company I worked for went out of business, and my boss went to a recruiter and this is what they told him. He was skilled in many aspects but really wasnt a pro in any of them.

I honestly think it depends on where you are in your career and where you want to go. If you want to work in a small company as the system administrator then it maybe useful to get a good knowledge of different types of systems, such as web design, databases, programming etc. I think this would assist with job protection and help you obtain the same/similar job if you needed to.

I think getting more knowledge is always going to be helpful for you and make you look better as well.

But, if you have already obtained a level in your career that you are comfortable at for awhile and looking to move up in the world - then learning basic skills of other non job essential items probably wont help in this aspect. The way I see it you can use your time for one of two things. Learn basic skills for things you dont use often or at all, or advance your current skillset to make you better/specialized than the job you have now. The first option will probably make you a better choice for the job you currently have while the second option will open the doors for moving up in your career.

As I said, I feel anytime you get more knowledge is great so whatever you choose will be benificial. But take a look at where you are and where you want to be in the next XX years and make sure what you spend your time on is helpful towards your next job choice.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    more is better...Look at Ten9t6 & all his cert/experience..he don't a resume, he needs a business card....
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both my current and former managers do not take people with a lot of certifications seriously. they feel that anyone who has the time to pursue that many certifications, must not have time to do much real work.

Just something to think about. that comes from two managers that don't have any certifications, but that hire people who have them and see value in their employees obtain reasonable ones.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    they feel that anyone who has the time to pursue that many certifications, must not have time to do much real work.
    I guess they don't realize how much knowledge one gains from doing the actual work, and how valuable it can be to be able to turn that in a certification.

Like Ten9t6 mentioned though, you shouldn't always list them all. Just the ones that pertain to the job you are applying for. But if you are a network designer for example, you can't have too many networking certs. And I think security is another discipline for which you cannot have too much certs that easily, at least you will know what you are securing.

I guess it all comes down to common sense, the certification is close to worthless if you don't have the corresponding knowledge. And without the proper experience, a dosen certs won't get you far either. Too much of anything isn't good.
  • Options
    sab4you wrote:

Learn basic skills for things you dont use often or at all, or advance your current skillset to make you better/specialized than the job you have now. The first option will probably make you a better choice for the job you currently have while the second option will open the doors for moving up in your career.

As I said, I feel anytime you get more knowledge is great so whatever you choose will be benificial. But take a look at where you are and where you want to be in the next XX years and make sure what you spend your time on is helpful towards your next job choice.

Yes, I think the diversity is very helpful to someone like myself whose only been in IT a few years and is basically starting out. I agree though that at some point you have to focus on what it is you want to do and target work/training in that area. Which is what I'm basically doing in the coming year. Unfortunately network admin related work is scarce where I am and until I finish college I'm stuck here and best off doing whatever I can, diverse as it is.

Of course there are also those IT jobs that require a diverse skills set where you may not need to be a master but you need to have a darn good understanding of everything. Our college's Distributed Learning Dept is like that. Individuals work with everything from database and web design to application programming and multi-media.