Options

Patch Panels

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
LAN Infrastructure for Office buildings.

From the PC all the way to the Core Router/Switch.

Now im sure not all, but for most, Like a Call Center/Helpdesk with a Floor full of pc's for end users all connected to a Patch Panel in a Network Closet. This network closet is organized and connects to the network equipment such as the Access Switches/Distrib Switches/ and all the way up the ladder toward the Core switches/Routers and out to the WAN?

This correct?

My understanding is Patch Panels are just for receiving the huge bundles of cables that come from the Floor so it can then be organized and directed out toward all the necessary switches & routers for convenience of on site technicians & engineers

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    LAN Infrastructure for Office buildings.

From the PC all the way to the Core Router/Switch.

Now im sure not all, but for most, Like a Call Center/Helpdesk with a Floor full of pc's for end users all connected to a Patch Panel in a Network Closet. This network closet is organized and connects to the network equipment such as the Access Switches/Distrib Switches/ and all the way up the ladder toward the Core switches/Routers and out to the WAN?

This correct?

My understanding is Patch Panels are just for receiving the huge bundles of cables that come from the Floor so it can then be organized and directed out toward all the necessary switches & routers for convenience of on site technicians & engineers

The reason for at the patch panel is just as you said, the cable guys lay the cables and terminate them to the patch panels. The engineers turn up with the switches and run "patch cables" to them.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    These patch panels have weird port #'s like "30F29" right?
  • Options

Just depend on which patch panel is used and how big. Some are just just numbered 1 through whatever.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blackninja wrote: »
    Just depend on which patch panel is used and how big. Some are just just numbered 1 through whatever.

This. And not all panels are #'ered or labeled in any way. Hence the reason for a trusty toner!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

They're also nice because they limit the amount of damage that occurs if something happens to a cable. It's easier to run another short cable from the patch panel instead of doing another long run.
  • Options
    This. And not all panels are #'ered or labeled in any way. Hence the reason for a trusty toner!

Not all panels are numbered: well that makes sense ?

Never had the pleasure of finding one yet.

trusty toner??
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    blackninja wrote: »
    Not all panels are numbered: well that makes sense ?

Never had the pleasure of finding one yet.

trusty toner??
    A tone generator and a tone tracer. They will become your best friends in poorly installed networks.
  • Options
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    A tone generator and a tone tracer. They will become your best friends in poorly installed networks.

Never heard if it, never had anything to do with installing yet though ;)
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That is absolutely correct. Anytime you're in a building where you see data jacks, you can rest assured that 99% of the time, all of that cable will run back to a central location where it has been terminated into a patch panel.

Patch panels serve as a way to keep all cable easily accessible and organized. For example, you could simply put RJ-45 ends on all cables back at the central location, but then you end up with a massive amount of cable that you need to plug into switches.

Patch panels make organization, documentation, labeling, adds/moves/changes all MUCH easier.

You would then take patch cables from the patch panel and hook it into the switch, creating the link between the end user who has their PC hooked up to a data jack and the switch, which links to the router, to the servers, to the internet, etc.
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139

Lil off-topic, but when you see that it tends to be marked like this:
    Wire closet
    Panel
    Port

So, 30F29 would be Wire closet 30, panel F, port 30.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »

+1, I'd never go anywhere without my fluke when I was making calls. Some cable guys are fantastic and very accurate with their labeling of the patch panel, others are sloppy at best..if they even labeled them at all.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Patch panels give you organization, and flexibility. It's alot easier to re-run one section of cable than it is to re-run the entire length.

It also gives you some flexibility. If you wire extra ports, you have the ability to connect virtually any machine to any other machine in the data center.

For example - if I need two computers connected back to back on their secondary NIC's for whatever reason, if all my runs are straight connections, I have to run a length of cable from that NIC to the other NIC, or I have to move equipment around.

If I'm using patch panels, I can just plug the NIC into a patch panel port on both ends, and then use another cable to cross connect those two ports in the central distribution facility.