UOIT...Anyone?

coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone of guys, especially folks from Canada, heard about or attended UOIT<http://uoit.ca/>. I have been looking at their MITS <http://gradstudies.uoit.ca/EN/main/programs/mits.html&gt; program for sometime. Something I might consider for my Masters in future. Just thought I ask around if anyone has heard of it?

Comments

• 2000and92000and9 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    coffeeking wrote: »
    Has anyone of guys, especially folks from Canada, heard about or attended UOIT<http://uoit.ca/>. I have been looking at their MITS <http://gradstudies.uoit.ca/EN/main/programs/mits.html&gt; program for sometime. Something I might consider for my Masters in future. Just thought I ask around if anyone has heard of it?

Hi coffeeking,

I completed my undergraduate degree in business at UOIT and now work there full-time. The university is fairly new, as it opened in 2003, but over the last few years the institution has developed a lot of unique programs - one of which is the Master of IT Security program. UOIT's MITS program is the first of its kind in Canada and is one of few specialized IT security graduate degree programs available in the world. Students in the program have the opportunity to work in UOIT's state-of-the-art Hacker Research Lab and also take part in an IT security capstone project, which allows them to apply course concepts to a project in the workplace.

If, by chance, you are interested in CISSP certification, the curriculum contains the 10 domains found in the CISSP exam.
    There is a little bit more information on the program available on the Faculty of Business and IT’s website: Masters of Information Technology | Graduate Programs.
    I hope some of this information has been helpful. Take care!
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2000and9 wrote: »
    Hi coffeeking,

I completed my undergraduate degree in business at UOIT and now work there full-time. The university is fairly new, as it opened in 2003, but over the last few years the institution has developed a lot of unique programs - one of which is the Master of IT Security program. UOIT's MITS program is the first of its kind in Canada and is one of few specialized IT security graduate degree programs available in the world. Students in the program have the opportunity to work in UOIT's state-of-the-art Hacker Research Lab and also take part in an IT security capstone project, which allows them to apply course concepts to a project in the workplace.

If, by chance, you are interested in CISSP certification, the curriculum contains the 10 domains found in the CISSP exam.
    There is a little bit more information on the program available on the Faculty of Business and IT’s website: Masters of Information Technology | Graduate Programs.
    I hope some of this information has been helpful. Take care!

2000and9, mate thanks very much for being the sole responder to my thread. I got the same impression that the uni is fairly new and is developing and their program sounded very good as well. CISSP is definitely one of the certs I plan to get down the road but that will be a few years yet.

I was more or less concerned about the recognition and accreditation of the uni, just wanted to make sure that if I consider this in future it won't be a waste of money.

Thanks for your comments and providing the information .

If you don't mind me asking...did you try to evaluate your degree outside UOIT to see the market value?
    2000and9, mate thanks very much for being the sole responder to my thread. I got the same impression that the uni is fairly new and is developing and their program sounded very good as well. CISSP is definitely one of the certs I plan to get down the road but that will be a few years yet.

I was more or less concerned about the recognition and accreditation of the uni, just wanted to make sure that if I consider this in future it won't be a waste of money.

Thanks for your comments and providing the information .

If you don't mind me asking...did you try to evaluate your degree outside UOIT to see the market value?

Hi coffeeking, We are certainly a recognized institution. UOIT is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) as well as the Council of Ontario Universities (COU). With respect to graduate studies, we are a member of the Canadian Association of Graduate Studies (CAGS) and the Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS). Our present graduate programs have all gone through a lengthy approval process conducted by the OCGS.

To date, I personally haven't encountered any issues with the market value of my degree. All of our programs are market-driven and are developed to meet the needs of today's knowledge-based economy. With that said, I think most employers are impressed with the technology aspect of our institution and the skills students develop while learning in such a high-tech environment. I can say that many of my friends from UOIT have landed jobs at some amazing companies and have even gone on to medical school, law school and are furthering their education with MBAs, Master's programs and even PhDs. Some of my classmates are even working outside of Canada in the Middle East and the UK.

Again, I hope this information is somewhat helpful. If you have any specific questions about the program, I know the Faculty of Business and IT would be happy to help.

Best of luck!
    Hi coffeeking, We are certainly a recognized institution. UOIT is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) as well as the Council of Ontario Universities (COU). With respect to graduate studies, we are a member of the Canadian Association of Graduate Studies (CAGS) and the Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS). Our present graduate programs have all gone through a lengthy approval process conducted by the OCGS.

To date, I personally haven't encountered any issues with the market value of my degree. All of our programs are market-driven and are developed to meet the needs of today's knowledge-based economy. With that said, I think most employers are impressed with the technology aspect of our institution and the skills students develop while learning in such a high-tech environment. I can say that many of my friends from UOIT have landed jobs at some amazing companies and have even gone on to medical school, law school and are furthering their education with MBAs, Master's programs and even PhDs. Some of my classmates are even working outside of Canada in the Middle East and the UK.

Again, I hope this information is somewhat helpful. If you have any specific questions about the program, I know the Faculty of Business and IT would be happy to help.

Best of luck!

2000and9,

Thanks again for your reply and information. I know the value of Canadian education here in middle east; I am in Kuwait working in one of the respected banks and there is a good number of people who studied in Canada and are now making good money in organization across middle east. I would definitely like to obtain some more information on the MITS program. I have only 1 year of professional experience in the field and MITS requires you to have at least 2 years of experience, so it would be nice to get in touch who could help explore other possible options to satisfy this requirement.

Any further information from you will be greatly appreciated.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Yes, UOIT is a reputable school. My personal concern is the "mobility learning" which is mandatory. They force you to rent a laptop from the school which does not belong to you, even though the charges are something like 1500/yr; which should get you a new one every year!

Other than this personal prejudice, I think the school is a good choice; I have met quite a few successful graduates from this school, they seem to teach and train with high quality.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Yes, UOIT is a reputable school. My personal concern is the "mobility learning" which is mandatory. They force you to rent a laptop from the school which does not belong to you, even though the charges are something like 1500/yr; which should get you a new one every year!

Other than this personal prejudice, I think the school is a good choice; I have met quite a few successful graduates from this school, they seem to teach and train with high quality.

bighornsheep, thanks mate for your reply, that counts for another positive vote. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet so am starting to get a good feel about the whole program, with couple of other choices that I have looked at, this one seems to be the most favorable one so far.

Hi bighornsheep, Grad students are an exception when it comes to the laptop. They are not required to subscribe to UOIT's mobile learning program, but have the option to do so if they wish. Cheers! [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    2000and9,

Thanks again for your reply and information. I know the value of Canadian education here in middle east; I am in Kuwait working in one of the respected banks and there is a good number of people who studied in Canada and are now making good money in organization across middle east. I would definitely like to obtain some more information on the MITS program. I have only 1 year of professional experience in the field and MITS requires you to have at least 2 years of experience, so it would be nice to get in touch who could help explore other possible options to satisfy this requirement.

Any further information from you will be greatly appreciated.

Hi coffeeking, If you visit the contact section of the UOIT graduate studies website you can find contact info for each graduate program director. You can also try mits@uoit.ca which is the general email address for the MITS program.

Cheers!
    Hi coffeeking, If you visit the contact section of the UOIT graduate studies website you can find contact info for each graduate program director. You can also try mits@uoit.ca which is the general email address for the MITS program.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info.