Options

VWIC to PSTN

ArturasjArturasj Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I’m setting up my home voice lab and need some help with connecting the lab to the outside world through my home telephone line.
So far I’ve only got IP to IP calls working, but not having much luck with PSTN setup.
I’ve got 2821 with VWIC-2MFT-G703 which (if I understand correctly) can work as both FXO and FXS?
I need some help with configuration, and also how do you convert UK telephone socket to RJ48?
Any advice appreciated.

Arturas

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's a digital E1 card. Assuming you don't have an E1 running to your house, you need an analog FXO card to connect to the PSTN.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply
    Several websites describe this card as below, which seems to be confusing.

THE CISCO 2-PORT G.703 (E1) VOICE/WAN INTERFACE CARD PROVIDE VOICE AND DATA ACCESS TO THE PUBLIC SWITCHED TELEPHONE NETWORK (PSTN).

https://www.serversupply.com/CISCO/NETWORKING/TELEPHONY%20EQUIPMENT/VOICE%20-%20WAN%20CARD%20VWIC/VWIC2-2MFT-G703.htm
  • Options
    Yeah, it can connect to the PSTN, but it's for a digital circuit, not analog like a standard home phone. I'm more familiar with T1s than E1s since I'm in the US, but they're fairly similar. (The major difference is that E1s have more channels.) Anyway, E1/T1s are used by businesses and are usually a few hundred to thousands of dollars a month, not something many people normally have in their homes.

A VIC-2FXO should allow you to connect to your home analog line, and they're usually pretty cheap on eBay.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Arturasj wrote: »
    I’ve got 2821 with VWIC-2MFT-G703 which (if I understand correctly) can work as both FXO and FXS?
    You may configure fxs or fxo loop start signaling on some of your timeslots, but it's still a digital circuit. Don't confuse that with the actual analog lines or FXS/FXO Interfaces.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for clarification, I'll go shop for a fxo card.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for clarification, I'll go shop for a fxo card.

Make sure that it’s a VIC2-xFXO card - the first gen VIC-2FXO cards don’t seem to work in the 28xx series routers.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    ouch, looks like I've ordered vic-2fxs and vic-2fxo and a 7960G phone. Doesn't it work at all with 2800? If so which routers does it work with?
  • Options
    ouch, looks like I've ordered vic-2fxs and vic-2fxo and a 7960G phone. Doesn't it work at all with 2800? If so which routers does it work with?

Opps, sorry about the bad info, I wasn't aware they didn't work in 2800s. Here's a table of supported platforms for FXO and FXS cards. The cheapest of those is probably a 2610.
  • Options
    No worries, I happen to have 3640 from couple of years back waiting to be powered on, but I also have access to quite a few routers at work, so hopefully the card won't go wasted.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No worries, I happen to have 3640 from couple of years back waiting to be powered on, but I also have access to quite a few routers at work, so hopefully the card won't go wasted.

If you grab an NM-2V you can use them both in the 3640 - should be dirt cheap too.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think you might need a VIC-2FXO-EU for the PSTN lines in Europe

Not positive though, as I'm not an expert on phones in the UK
  • Options
    GeorgecooldudeGeorgecooldude Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    I think you might need a VIC-2FXO-EU for the PSTN lines in Europe

Not positive though, as I'm not an expert on phones in the UK

I'm able to breakout with a VIC-2FXO in the UK using a BT line. Have issues with disconnects though. If one side hangs up the other side remains active. One would assume its fixable but I haven't come accross a solution yet. And that card doesn't support caller id which is really annoying.

Have a VIC2-4FXO on the way to hopefully sort out the above two issues.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'm able to breakout with a VIC-2FXO in the UK using a BT line. Have issues with disconnects though. If one side hangs up the other side remains active. One would assume its fixable but I haven't come accross a solution yet. And that card doesn't support caller id which is really annoying.
    You need a VIC-2FXO-M2 which is the European VIC-2FXO with battery reversal support to get it to hang up properly and do caller ID.
    Have a VIC2-4FXO on the way to hopefully sort out the above two issues.
    Yeah. The VIC2-FXO should work.