CCNA Books - which is better?

xiztencexiztence Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the CCNA 640-607 test and failed with a score of 835. icon_cry.gif I have to study for the 640-801 now and was wondering if anyone that passed would suggest Cisco's Certification Library by Wendell Odom, or the Sybex book from Todd Lammle??...

Comments

• EhronEhron Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have the Odom book, and their are A LOT of questions I have come across in practice tests that were either barely discussed, or omitted entirely. I have not read the Sybex book.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you would have searched the forums, you would have noticed that several people don't like the Wendel Odom book. On the other hand, Todd Lammle has been awarded best technical author for several years, and he has become famous because of his excellent CCNA guide (from Sybex).... I usually prefer Cisco Press books for the Cisco exams, but if I would have to redo my CCNA I would definitely go for Todd's book.

However, don't expect any book out there to cover everything completely.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Work bought me the Sybex book from Todd Lammle and Virtual lab..I really like it..The book is very easy to read and everything is explained very straight foward..I have heard alot of people complain about how detailed the Cisco book is. The more you know can't hurt you.. The Sybex book and lab however costed close to $200.00 though..Hope this helps..
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go with the Sybex book by Todd Lammle. I am currently reading it myself and I think it's a GREAT book to have if you're going for the CCNA 801. I think he explains everything very clear and gets right down to the point...very easy to read!!! icon_study.gif

I also do not find the book boring...I know may of you know what I mean. Some books you read can put you to sleep sleeping.gif because they are so boring. The book comes with 2 CD's...Virtual Lab Gold Edition and Advanced Test Prep Tools which is a big +++.

I also agree with the webmaster. Cisco Press books are also good to use. I'm also using the FlashCards book for the 640-801 by Cisco Press which I also find excellent!!!

Good Luck!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • EhronEhron Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you would have searched the forums...

I didn't know they existed before a couple of nights ago... :)
    However, don't expect any book out there to cover everything completely.

I have to admit this surprises me. I guess they want you to gather info from a number of sources?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ehron wrote:
    I didn't know they existed before a couple of nights ago... :)
    I meant before you post ;)
    I have to admit this surprises me. I guess they want you to gather info from a number of sources?
    They want you to get hands-on experience, try things out, research things on your own. Unfortunately the exam objectives for Cisco exams are not as detailed as they used to be... they used to be a good guideline for what to study. But if you supplement a good book with good practice exams and/or a home lab/simulator you should get good coverage.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    does anyone know about the book test pass or fast pass by todd lammle? is this book any good
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • SniperHunterSniperHunter Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah Viper, just bought the cisco flash card + exam pack, the book freaking rocks ;) Also picked up the new BSCI Exam Certification Book 3rd Edition. Big book icon_eek.gif

-Anthony
    "You know what they say, Microsoft could sell sand in the desert, but Novell couldn't sell crack in Harlem"
  • henkkhenkk Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read quite a few book reviews before getting the Sybex study guide from amazon.com.

I went for the Deluxe Edition which includes a rather nifty simulator, it comes with flashcards that I've loaded onto my Handspring Visor, but most importantly is extremely well written.

Todd Lammle deserves all the praise he gets.

Good luck with the studying.
    great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds - albert einstein
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    henkk wrote:

Todd Lammle deserves all the praise he gets.

icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gifbowing.gif:Dicon_cool.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well that sells me on which book to get
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons