Options

Cisco Kits Question

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings All:

I have a question about Cisco Kits. I am currently doing a self study for the CCNA. I am using packet tracer software and I am beginning to see the limitations of the software. I am thinking about buying a router kit. Does anyone have a good suggestion as far as a good package to go for? I am thinking about getting something from Cisco Kits.

BTW I plan to get my CCNA on June 26th

Comments

• Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I picked up my gear from ebay. I got 3 2950 switches for £50 (UK) a piece which was good for testing and observing spanning tree. I then got hold of 3 1721 routers from work which although not particularly high spec, were enough to get me through with a couple of serial cards and a back to back cable.

I think the general consensus is that Cisco Kits is selling overpriced, outdated equipment.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Research what you want to buy. There are plenty of threads in this forum which give advice on equipment. Certain equipment is outdated or not ideal for studying. If it is outdated like the Catalyst 1900 switches then don't buy it. If your budget is small then you may have to compromise with older equipment that isn't ideal but still usable with certain changes like 2500 routers or Catalyst 2900XL switches.

What you're getting from CiscoKits is the ease of buying everything in one go. You can buy straight away and not need to wait for auctions to appear/end. It'll be tested. You'll have somebody to complain to if it doesn't work. It'll come with cables. You're not going there to get a great deal at rock bottom prices basically. If that is okay then by all means buy from CiscoKits.

If you're prefer to save some money then eBay/Craigslist/local ads are your best bet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. Now my question is whether or not it is possible to pass the CCNA without having actual Cisco equipment....
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    knwminus wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses. Now my question is whether or not it is possible to pass the CCNA without having actual Cisco equipment....

Of course it is. Many peoiple have passed using packet tracer or GNS3.

Personally I like a real lab. Looks cool too ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    blackninja wrote: »
    Of course it is. Many peoiple have passed using packet tracer or GNS3.

Personally I like a real lab. Looks cool too ;)

That it does. I am just worried about putting myself in a bad spot as far as studying. Packet Tracer does not support all of the commands I need to know.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    That it does. I am just worried about putting myself in a bad spot as far as studying. Packet Tracer does not support all of the commands I need to know.

Buy some gear at good prices off of ebay. If you decide not to continue on the Cisco track after CCNA you should be able to place them back on e-bay and
    cover your costs.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    miller811 wrote: »
    Buy some gear at good prices off of ebay. If you decide not to continue on the Cisco track after CCNA you should be able to place them back on e-bay and
    cover your costs.

I am doing the self study for the CCNA but I plan to take classes for the CCNP at a local school sometime next year. I will probably need to get a good CCNA/CCNP study kit if I do get a kit at all
  • Options
    I am doing the self study for the CCNA but I plan to take classes for the CCNP at a local school sometime next year. I will probably need to get a good CCNA/CCNP study kit if I do get a kit at all

You need a real lab, and 1 that will stand you in good stead for your CCNP studies.

Click here and see what Wendell has to say?
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Ciscokits are somewhat overpriced. But they do offer an excellent lab workbook and an awesome fold out **** sheet with their kits.
  • Options
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Ciscokits are somewhat overpriced. But they do offer an excellent lab workbook and an awesome fold out **** sheet with their kits.

Buy from ebay and save a fortune. Then of you need a lab book see my post: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/42260-ccna-lab-workbook.html
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)