Options

Corrupt Route?

boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
Interesting problem at work. One of my sites uses a third party web site for some type of training. I have spoken with this third party several times now and have gotten the following info collected. The third party installed new servers with new IPs a month ago and now we can't access them via the web. All of the other clients that use this third party are working. I can go outside of our network and connect as well.

First thing I thought; DNS problem. Since they changed their IPs recently I thought maybe a DNS server along the way had a corrupt cache and the old address was still active. Correct me if I am wrong, but typically a DNS update could take as long as 48 hours (They changed IPs over a month ago)? Our engineer put static entries into our proxy's host tables. Still didn't work. I tried using the IP address as the domain with no luck, so that proved DNS wrong.

We tried trace route and found a break outside of our ISPs network. I contacted the third party who contacted her hosting service and they found the same problem. It appears to be a problem on Sprint's line.

Is this most likely a broken route somewhere?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Only Sprint would know for sure. Contact your ISP and have them look into it for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    Wow, that is a cool tool. I didn't know something like that is available. The closest server to me is Ashburn VA (route-views.eqix.routeviews.org), but I can't get to it. I can get to the New York ATT server though. I can do a traceroute from the ATT server to the working domain and the non-working domain and they both stop at the same place. It would really help to get into the Sprint server in Ashburn and do the same thing.

Can anyone else get to the Spring server in Ashburn?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nope that one looks to be reachable but not able to connect from here either.

router#ping route-views.equinix.routeviews.org

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 206.223.132.88, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 84/88/92 ms

Your best bet would be to contact your ISP like I said before. They can collaborate with Sprint for you. You will probably have a hard time getting some help from Sprint yourself if you are not their customer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.