a bit afraid of network +

g.rangerg.ranger Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
heard that most of the questions are scenario based and my god the passing mark is very high.i downloaded a few practice questions but most of them are basic, i tried to search for something solid over the internet but came up with nothing.does anybody think i can manage with a network + sybex book only, i mean where should my main focus be?

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, your post is the wrong forum, probably a mistake, but a mod can move it. Anyway, the Sybex book is good for Net+. I used Mike Myers All-In-One guide, which I thought was good as well. Here's a list of Network+ books, plus some reviews. I also used Transcender practice exams, a bit pricey, but very good. As far as knowledge, you should know at a minimum, ports, definitions, topology, scenarios of different networks, and some basic troubleshooting. You should also be confident. Net+ isn't that I hard if you study for it. The Wemaster, Johan, has also created some excellent Technotes. If you don't know what's on the Technotes, you're not ready. But remember, it helps to be confident. Don't think you'll fail, or you will.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • STexamsSTexams Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try these, they are free and actually fairly close to the actual Comptia exam.

http://www.techexams.net/coexam/start.php?exam=netplus1

http://www.****.com

http://www.stexams.com
    Freddy
    Free Online Exams and Tutorials
    http://www.stexams.com
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't scare yourslef, the exam is not that hard.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    No need to be afraid, g.ranger.

The main thing about taking the Network+ exam, is to take the time to read the questions carefully to be sure you understand what's required. Some of those scenarios give you way more info than you need to solve the problem. Just be sure that you skim the right info and the answers are not that hard find. I actually enjoyed the Net+ exam. I felt that it did indicate that I was able to troubleshoot simple network scenarios and I felt good about that.

I must agree with Ricka182 on the Mike Meyers All-In-One Network+ Study Guide. I would not recommend that you use only one study guide because no one guide is 100% complete. The all-in-one was the only guide that I used. I was wishing that I had had one more when I first started the exam. A second guide will just give you some extra insurance that you have covered all the bases thoroughly. My A+ studies helped me quite a bit with some of the networking also.

In addition to the scenarios, know about OSI model layers, IEEE specs, the troubleshooting commands(PING, TRACERT, NETSTAT, etc. and their switches). Besides, if you get a job in a network environment, you will use these commands!

Best of luck in your studies and your certifications.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Once you know the basic material then it all falls together.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A few tips for the N+ exam are:

Know the OSI Layer and what each layer does, like it's 2nd nature.

Know port numbers.

Different cable types.

Some DNS\Token Ring.

ONE Big tip in the Scenerio questions is. When you have a question that can have more than one answer, BUT you're only allowed to pick one...look for the one that's going to cost the company the LEAST amount of money or take the LEAST amount of time to fix.

For example:

1) You have a workstation that recently lost connection to the company's network, other users do not report any problems. What would you do FIRST to fix the problem? (Choose one)

A) Replace the workstation

B) Replace the switch in the wiring closet.

C) Replace the network cable from the PC to the network drop.

D) Replace the NIC.

In this scenerio answer C. would be the correct answer, because it would or could be the fastest and cheapest solution to the problem.

Answers A and B would be wrong because it's just not practical to replace a workstation. That's $$$ the company has to dish out. A big NO, NO!!!

Answer D could be the correct answer, BUT read the question. "What should you do FIRST?" So D is wrong!!!

Hope this helps you out and gives you some idea of the N+. icon_wink.gif

(I made up this question.) icon_lol.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...