Options

windows 2000 domain to 2003 migration help

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to perform domain migration from windows 2000 to windows server 2003. I've found some articles over the net but I still want to ask for your expert advice and personal experience doing migration. thanks in advance.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's going to depend a lot on what you have going on in your environment. It would be relatively trivial if you had a dozen users and a few file shares and printers, but it could also be significantly more complex. You'll need to provide a lot more detail before you'll get a good answer.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    dynamik wrote: »
    That's going to depend a lot on what you have going on in your environment. It would be relatively trivial if you had a dozen users and a few file shares and printers, but it could also be significantly more complex. You'll need to provide a lot more detail before you'll get a good answer.

they require to replace the old server with a new one running server 2003. They have 3 dc, a file server and print server both running windows xp and about 150 client computers. I want to know what are the consequences and precautions doing migration as you have mentioned about file shares and printers.Is there a need to reconfigure each client?
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should be able to do the migration and not affect the clients. You just have to make sure that you appropriately migrate all of the possible roles the servers that your are going to replace might hold... All of the FSMO roles, global catalog servers, possibly DNS, DHCP or WINS if they were set up on your DC's, and other any stuff those servers are doing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Why don't you just set-up a VM with the 3 DC server images and do the upgrade within a isolated network?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should definitely set up a virtual lab and do a test migration or two. It shouldn't be too difficult to get something similar setup; you'd only need the servers and a client or two. You could also p2v to get an identical setup.