Options

CPU speed

aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
Ok, I really don't know anything about overclocking, and to be frank that's not really what I want to do. I'm pretty happy with the speed of the processor that I paid for, but something seems amiss.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 (kuma) 2.7Ghz cpu.

I start playing with TweakVI and I notice the following (see also screenshots)

Current clock speed: 1400Mhz
Maximum clock speed: 2700Mhz

So I fire up cpu-z and see the same thing. Thinking this is most peculiar I do a quick search for the same processor and come across the following screenshot:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/processors/images/AMD_Athlon_X2_7750/AMD_Athlon_X2_7750_CPUZ_1.jpg

Soo.. uhh... WTF?
You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"

Comments

• Options
    Ok, so I looked in the BIOS and all of the system frequency/voltage settings are set to auto. I'm reluctant to play around in there but man, I didn't pay for a 1.4Ghz processor!
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some CPUs/BIOS automatically throttle the speed to save power. You can look in your BIOS for something like SpeedStep or Quiet 'n Cool. You could also try looking at the speed in cpu-z while the computer is under load, such as while running prime95.
  • Options
    Ahhhhh, yeah, cool 'n quiet.

It's funny, when I first upgraded the cpu and installed vista it started really fast, and then I installed a bunch of stuff and I do remember switching cool 'n quiet on for something. The slow start up I attributed to normal degradation after installing software but nope, back to nice performance again. Thanks.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If it is configured properly, it should switch speeds by itself. If you need high performance for some reason then it will increase the clock speed.