Options

downloading music and security clearance

2»

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Blackout wrote: »
    This ^
    Old man told me a story about a guy married to a foreign national, they asked him if he ever talked to his in-laws and he said no. They asked him if they ever called the house, he said yes. Do you ever answer the phone? Yes and I give the phone to my wife.......So you do talk to your in-laws?

The guy got his clearance pulled for it. Scary indeed.

Interesting, but not surprising. I've known a number of very talented people/agents who have been denied clearances for things like this. A lot of times it comes down to the country that the family is from. My background investigator's wife was from Ireland (not Northern Ireland) and he was denied a TS. One of my security professors wife is from an Asian country and he was also denied. It definitely sucks and probably isn't the fairest thing in the world, but all it took was some agency getting burned once to change the policy. If you want to read a great book on the polygraph/background investigation pick up Gatekeeper: Memoirs of a CIA Polygraph Examiner (Amazon.com: Gatekeeper: Memoirs of a CIA Polygraph Examiner (9781597970464): John F. Sullivan: Books). The stories he has in this book will make your head spin.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    When I went through my clearance for a Secret they sent the interviewer to my house to go over financial paperwork and the rest of my packet. I had to disclose all financial assets and submit to a review of my taxes. Interviewers also spoke to people in various places I worked or lived. Took a few months but they looked at it all.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    In addition to the basic clearance procedure, the customer/program you are working for can have additional checks performed on you. This is one reason why people have such different stories of how they were cleared for the same level of clearance.