Getting started

ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been working as an aircraft technician for the last twelve years and I desperately want to get out of aviation and into I.T. (stop laughing - the aviation industry has been a crappy place to work for years now!)I'm not short of experience in troubleshooting expensive and very critical systems, but outside of lab time at school and my own VM networks, I have no hands-on network experience. I'm not in a hurry to ditch my secure job, but I'd like to position myself for the day this economy picks up and I can make my move toward network administration.
My question to you experienced I.T. types is this: How can I best spend my time getting ready for my first job applications?
To complicate matters, I am presently making around 55k, and could'nt stand to take too massive a pay cut - yes I know I'll take a big hit to start with. I know the general rule is to start in desktop support and work up from there, but is there anything I can do now to start a little further up the ladder?
The story so far: AAS in Computer Information Systems (Networking specialization), CCNA, MCP (passed 290, 291, working on 270 & Security+ for my MCSA). Lots of lab time with Cisco switches, routers, and PIX's.
Should I keep working on certs or try to get my Bachelors?
Any and all advice is much appreciated!!

Comments

• murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ian g wrote: »
    The story so far: AAS in Computer Information Systems (Networking specialization), CCNA, MCP (passed 290, 291, working on 270 & Security+ for my MCSA). Lots of lab time with Cisco switches, routers, and PIX's.
    Should I keep working on certs or try to get my Bachelors?

ian. thats a pretty good story to start off with man. Bachelors? I would. I mean you have a good start for what you have now, so I would keep going. It's not like its going to hurt you. Bachelors and certs.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I would think with your experience certifications AND a BA or BS in Computer Science or some similar field you should easily be able to start in the mid 40 range. That can go up fairly quickly to the point to where you are now (couple of years maybe) and after that things might start to slow to a normal pace. There isn't much of a limit but the higher paying positions become more difficult to get and require more experience than you have. Your best bet may be to get an IT job with a company in aeronautics. It worked out very well for my cousin. She was able to land a management position early because of her experience as a pilot and flight instructor. The key was her familiarity with the business side. Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I have to admit I am surprised you want to leave the aircraft technician for IT.

Right now the IT field is in the **** with cut backs and downsizing.
    I am presently making around 55k, and couldn't stand to take too massive a pay cut - yes I know I'll take a big hit to start with. I know the general rule is to start in desktop support and work up from there, but is there anything I can do now to start a little further up the ladder?

You're going to be in for shock - the starting salary for IT is around 20k to 30k.

If you really want to go into IT be prepare to take major concessions.
  • sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote: »
    I have to admit I am surprised you want to leave the aircraft technician for IT.

You're going to be in for shock - the starting salary for IT is around 20k to 30k.

If you really want to go into IT be prepare to take major concessions.

I started at $35k in 2007 (I did have some freelance web design under my belt). I too have an AAS degree, but I didn't have any certs. Hopefully you can make more because of the certs.

I would recommend doing some weekend freelance/contracts to build experiance.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • ian gian g Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote: »

I appreciate your comments a lot. The airline industry has been in full recession since 2001. Thousands have been laid off and many thousands more have seen their benefits and wages slashed. In aircraft mainrenance all is based on the seniority system. If I wanted to go and work for anyone else, I'd be starting at the bottom, which would probably mean graveyard shift, mid week days off and the lowliest tasks. For the responsibilities we have, compensation is poor and it's not goiing to get better.
    Everyone I've spoken to in IT say that if you know your stuff and show real aptitude for the job, there's opportunities to move up. I really yearn for a job where you are recognized for your skills and knowledge, rather than just your years of service.
    Who knows? Maybe I am being naieve, but in a few years, if all the stars line up, the kids will be in school full time, wife can go back to work, the recession will be over, and I can afford to take that pay cut.
    Thanks again for everybody's input on this.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I second the freelance idea. If you are unable to find any related jobs at a decent starting salary, why not create your own? You could at least work after work hours and/or weekends, building up experience, and possibly clients.
    Who knows, the side thing may turn into a main thing!?
    I did the freelance thing for a couple years, until competition in the area drove down the hourly rate (not to mention the quality) of service.
    I work full-time now, which has its good and bad traits, but either way, you have good options right now :D

Good luck either way.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD