Book Recommendation? Server 2008

I've just been browsing the web for suitable books on Server 2008.

At present I do not use server 2008 but we may be migrating to 2008 (from server 2003) shortly and I'm looking to get some background info - I'm not planning on any exams at present but who knows............

One book that caught my eye is:
Windows Server® 2008 Inside Out (Paperback) by William R. Stanek (Author)

MS Press Windows Server 2008 Training Kit etc is a bit heavy-handed for my current needs.

Also looked at the 3 exam cram books but they are more exam-oriented - i'm just looking for the basic grounding at present.

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have the Inside-and-Out books for both 2003 and 2008 (though I haven't spent much time with the latter). This time around, I'm going to go through that, and possibly the resource kit books for my upgrade exams. I don't think I'm going to spend any more time with exam-centric books (with the possible exception of potential Cisco studies).
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Book? Why stop at just one? This list will get you a long way towards completing the 10,000 page challenge, but first you might want to sign up for an Amazon Prime account just to get free shipping on some of these beasts.

For Beginners
    (What's Server 2008?)

If you are new to Windows Servers, start with Mastering Windows Server 2008 Networking Foundations by Mark Minasi. I practically owe my NT4 MCSE to Minasi and I have used his Mastering series books ever since. I have not read this book since it is geared towards a less experienced audience, but it should be good based on reputation alone.

Server 2008 Overview
    (What is it and how do I make it work, but not why it works)

If you are new to Server 2008 but not Windows servers overall, start with Introducing Windows Server 2008 from MS Press. It's a little dated because it is based on beta and RC builds, but it will get you up to speed on the differences without any real depth. I read this book first when I started studying for the 649 upgrade exam.

I also read Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Implementation and Administration, but I can't remember a thing about it. That can't be good so I suggest skipping it.

I read several chapters of The Complete Guide to Windows Server 2008 as a non-Microsoft source when preparing for the 647 and 649 exams. Normally I would use Minasi's book as my main non-MS reference, but his server 2008 books have been redesigned and delayed until 2010. That's a shame because by the time they come out I don't think I will be interested in reading them. In the meantime, The Complete Guide fills in nicely with a good discussion on ADFS (although not as complete as the ResKit).

Another good reference for learning and everyday reference is the Windows Server 2008 Administrator's Companion from MS Press. I also read select chapters from this book during exam prep and it's a solid - if not deep - guide to administration.

Server 2008 Deep Dive
    (How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?)

If you really want to know how and why windows server 2008 works, buy and read the Windows Server 2008 Resource Kit. I have been buying and beginning to read the books one by one and they are excellent. The last 4 chapters of the AD Reskit are probably all you need to pass the AD section of the 649 exam, but read the whole book and you'll really know AD. The security reskit is also excellent and, although I haven't read the whole thing, I finally found explanations for why things work a certain way. For example - why 8 characters is the magic length for a windows password and how blank passwords can make some servers more secure. I have not purchased the Administration resource kit yet, but it's on my wish list.

The Terminal Services Resource kit came in handy for the application portion of the 649 exam. A great source for TS-specific group policy tweaks in addition to the overall TS configuration.

Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and Troubleshooting and Creating the Secure Managed Desktop, both by Moskowitz. I read the Group Policy Resource Kit and found it severly lacking in useful information. Moskowitz does an amazing job with these two books and I recommend them both over the MSPress book (which I won't even grace with a hyperlink). If you are looking for a reference on SoftGrid - aka App-V - the Managed Desktop book has some good chapters for you.

Windows Server 2008 PKI and Certificate Security is on my wishlist. The 2003 edition was almost required reading for the 293 exam.

Hyper-V Resource Kit - on pre-order.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Thanks for the replies. I understand where Claymoore is coming from regarding book vs. books.

I've got for my gut feeling and ordered:
    Windows Server® 2008 Inside Out (Paperback) by William R. Stanek (Author)

See how I get on, may look at other options, if needed.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed all of my server 2008 exams using Windows Server 2008 Unleashed as my primary source. I believe it is not only the best server 2008 book, but the best over view of active directory I have read. I really liked the book and feel I learned more from it than I did from most of the MS press books I have for server 2003 combined.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for the good information Robert.
    So you didn't use anything else at all to pass the 2k8 exams? Just that one book? Or you have a good amount of experience to subsidize any information lacking?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the good information Robert.
    So you didn't use anything else at all to pass the 2k8 exams? Just that one book? Or you have a good amount of experience to subsidize any information lacking?

I used that book, Technet articles/virtual labs, and TestOut (PRO) and Measure up (MCTS upgrade exam). At the time I had been working with AD and I was assisting in teaching MCSA/MCSE level course material. That was the only *print* study material I used.

You should never use only one resource, but that was the only book I needed.