Options

Sitting ICND1 on Monday!!!

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Just an update. I can now count the days till my exam on one hand... Am I scared? No, not as scared as I was in my last post when I was pleading for help. Still afraid none the less but that is probably due to pre-exam jitters.

Just wanted to say thanks for everything to all of you before I sit the exam. I think I am ready, I have the exam objectives in the back of my mind and I know that I understand the topics also. I just have one question (doubt).

Can I Pass? I know it is a very STUPID question but please, hear me out and keep reading. The reason I ask this is because I have seen MCSE's, Network+, other MCP's, people with ten years experience, and so on that have failed this exam on their first try. I am honestly not trying to get questions off you are ask you to violate your NDA's, I am just scared that if they can't pass, how the hell am I going to pass???

All I have is an MCP (70-270) and about six months experience with Cisco Devices and have been studying every night religiously from 8pm to 12pm. I work at an ISP that sells cisco products so I am around them everyday, and they put me through a ICND1 workshop and bought me the ICND1 official exam certification guide. I however had a little money extra so I purchased the Train Signal Videos by Chris Bryant. I wanted packet tracer but I cannot afford it but I guess I don't need to cause I can borrow stuff from work.

So yeah that brings me back to my question, Can I pass? The reason why I love this forum is that when you guys answer, I know you will tell me the truth and not what I want to hear. I actually confront you guys before I talk to my colleges at work coz I know you guys wont sugar coat anything!

Thanks a lot if you read this post, even if you don't reply I thank you sincerely for your time!

David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Of course you can pass! You gotta have a positive attitude and a good mindset going into any exam or you're going to set yourself up for failure.

Unlike other vendors (CompTIA), most people comment that CISCO tests are fairly straightforward about actually testing your knowledge. Print out the blueprint. Study hard. Pass.

After 4 postponements, I am taking my test Monday also. I wish us luck!
  • Options
    Hey Larry,

Thanks for the advice, I wish you luck as well!!! I know you will pass because of all your experience and other certs that you have got!

Funny, I printed the exam blueprint out already on A3 sheets of paper and they are posted to the wall in front of my PC.

Well thanks again, we will get through it!

David
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Having an MCSE, Network+ and Security+ mean very little when taking a Cisco exam. If someone with those credentials have never configured cisco devices before, then they will most likely fail.

They may be able to answer many of the multiple choice questions correctly, but I doubt they could do any sims, which I can only assume count for the majority of the score.

The same is true the other way around though... You could have a CCIE who fails what some might consider an easy MS exam....

It sounds like you've got some hands on experience and have been studying up. I think you'll be fine!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Of course you will pass the exam! The reason for "highly-certified" people failing is problably pretty much how the exam looks different from other exams, catching them off guard and finishing them off :P
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can I Pass?
    Yes.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    desiredforsomedesiredforsome Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will pass, I was nervous i just took mine 2 days ago, Passed scared but passed. Just remember, Take your time, its all good. I passed mine and only studied for a month, Belive me though when i say this, People with Cisco certs, KNOW cisco due to the fact that CISCO makes sure of it.
    Thanks Corey

"Your either a 1 or a 0, dead or alive"
    --AntiTrust
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Good luck! Be quick with subnetting, thats my best advice.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    You'll do fine, you just have to believe! Oh and know how to subnet.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    If you have studied thoroughly then yes, you will pass - as long as your nerves DO NOT get the better of you.

Take your time with the exam, there is plenty of time.

I didn't take the ICND1, but the best advice I can give you is: know subnetting! If you can't subnet a given mask in 20 seconds or less I would spend the weekend at: click here

I wish you the best of luck, and if you get stressed in the exam - sit back for 10 seconds and gather your thoughts.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The biggest problem with taking Cisco exams is that people tend to psych themselves out. When I'm studying, I just hit a point where I feel it in my gut that I'm ready, and I go take the exam and pass. Cisco can be tricksy, but spotting the trick in the question is part of knowing your stuff. Whenever I get a question that makes me go 'wtf?', I sit back, reread it carefully and try to divine what the question they're *really* asking me is. Once I figure it out, I smile, and it just goes towards increasing confidence the rest of the exam.

Just take it one question at a time, do the best you can, select what you think is the best answer, and move on. Sometimes you'll get questions later in an exam which will give you enough information to know that you answered a previous question either correctly or incorrectly. As well, there are times when one question gives you enough information that will allow you to answer a later question that's more narrow in scope.

The biggest thing is to just not sweat it. Once you're in the exam room and you've started, it's done. There is no point anymore wondering if you prepared enough, no point in worrying about whether or not you're going to pass. You're already there, and all your questions will be addressed one way or another once you submit your answer to the final question. Your money is already paid up, might as well enjoy the experience.
  • Options
    Thanks Guys!!!

You are all a HUGE help!!! Funny, I am always on subnettingquestions.com every night for 1 hr before i go to bed. It was actually you guys on this site that told me to subnet in my head!!! It is really cool coz when my boss asks somebody to subnet a network in the office, they reach for a pad and paper and at the same time, I blurt out the answer, not only is it cool to be fast but it is cool to be correct as well!

Yeah. I will be reading through the Wendell Odom ICND1 review topic section this weekend for all chapters just for a revision, I will also be subnetting for awhile this weekend also.

On Monday morning I will read through appendix H of the Cisco book to refresh my mind just before the exam and then at 10:00am..........................................................................

I WILL PASS AND BECOME A CCENT!!!

Thanks again guys!!!

I will tell you how it goes!!!

David
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□