Options

DHCP Server Question

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm reviewing a textbook which covers the 70-291 exam and they have different case projects you can work on. One of the case projects involves DHCP servers and how DHCP will be used to deliver IP addresses to clients in a location with five different subnets. Does anyone know the pros and cons of using a single DHCP server versus multiple DHCP servers in this case?

Thanks in advance.
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    DHCP isn't very intense. So wasting a lot of money on servers for it would be silly. On the same note, seperation of roles on your servers is important...

Here is a best practice on this.
    DHCP Best Practices: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)

Classic argument of central point of failure vs. management over head.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just remember the 80/20 rule. one server handles 80% and the other does 20%. If the first one goes down, or you take it offline, the other can handle the load for a while.
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate it!
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    UncleCidUncleCid Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Just remember the 80/20 rule. one server handles 80% and the other does 20%. If the first one goes down, or you take it offline, the other can handle the load for a while.

That's what i was going to say.

As long as your exclusions are setup correctly, you could use more than one DHCP server for redundancy. Or Maybe an asymmetrical/symmetrical cluster? That might be fun. Even though it seems like it would be easier to just make two servers and add the other dhcp's scope to the opposite's exclusion list. (and so on, if you had more than 2)

Unless maybe you have like 20,000 computers that need to get IP address a day. lol. =x