Options

MCSA Question

dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
If someone is A+, N+ certified, how many microsoft exam they need to pass in order to become MCSA and then MCSE.
I think I read some incorrect information about this long ago.

Comments

• Options
    PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure it's:

MCSA: Two core and one client, no elective
    MCSE: No credit for A+ and N+. So the usual four core, one client, one design, one elective.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While the website does not list this, many people have reported receiving an MCSE by using their A+/Net+ for their elective, just like the MCSA. I still think it seems odd, but MS is mailing them out their certificates...
  • Options
    PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It could definitely be. The website can be confusing and outdated.

I had to email mcphelp and ask about my own requirements, and the answer turned out not to be exactly what was implied on the site. I would suggest dfjama do the same.
  • Options
    qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From what I understand A+ and Net+ count as the elective for MCSA, then you have one client and two core exams. The MCSE I'm not sure, I don't think the two CompTIA certs count but, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Thinks are changing. Yes the A+ Net+ definately satisfies the elective for the MCSA and like Dynamik said there are reports and post that people are getting this as a pass for the elective for the MCSE as well.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    So I'm more confused now than ever. I already have a Security+, and I could pass the A+ and Network+ pretty easy, as I've studied those. But if they're not going to help me in getting an MCSE, I don't want to waste my time. I don't intend to just get an MCSA. If Microsoft's website isn't being very helpful, how can I know for sure what will count and what won't?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    So I'm more confused now than ever. I already have a Security+, and I could pass the A+ and Network+ pretty easy, as I've studied those. But if they're not going to help me in getting an MCSE, I don't want to waste my time. I don't intend to just get an MCSA. If Microsoft's website isn't being very helpful, how can I know for sure what will count and what won't?
    What they're saying is, the Microsoft website is very explicit in what counts towards the MCSA and what counts towards the MCSE. However, there have been some cases where Microsoft awarded the MCSE for doing the six required exams plus the A+/Network+ combo; this is not the norm, so no one's assuming that it'll work that way for them. However, if you have Security+ already then you don't need to do the A+/Network+ to get your MCSA or your MCSE, as Security+, by itself, counts towards both.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.