Options

Frame relay Switch

bagglesbaggles Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is the best value cisco router to use as a frame relay switch? The more Serial ports the better

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2520 or a supported router with one of these: Understanding 4- and 8-Port Async/Sync Network Modules - Cisco Systems

I'd think four would be sufficient (at least at the NA level).
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jump on eBay and see what's available in your area.

The old 2522 router has 10 serial ports. The 2520 has 4. There are also Token Ring Versions available that should be cheaper that you could use if you're going to dedicate a router to act as your frame relay switch (and don't need an extra Ethernet Router for anything else).

Or you can get an NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S and put it in a 2600, 2600XM, 3620, or 3640 Router. Depending on the prices of the available NMs, it could be cheaper to get multiple NM-4A/S interfaces and stuff them in a 3640.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    word to the wise:
    NM-4T isn't supported by the 2600 series. make sure its async (NM-4a/s)

I've got one sitting at home because I don't have a 3640 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Just jumped on ebay there are a few NM-8A/S modules going for about the same as the NM-4A/S modules. Like Mike bowing.gif says, buy a couple and stuff them in a 3640. That is assuming you have a 3640 lying around. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since we're on the topic, here is an article I wrote on configuring your own frame-relay switch:

Journey toward Cisco CCIE Certification: Adding Frame Relay to your Cisco Cert Studies
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    cisco trooper +1 icon_cheers.gif