Options

Anyone else get the invite for the Server+ 2009 beta?

178101213

Comments

  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    matradley wrote: »
    There have been more changes to the score cut dates:

    We are currently recruiting for the following workshops:

    * CompTIA Linux+ Cut Score Workshop, Oct. 19-23
    * CompTIA Server+ Cut Score Workshop, Nov. 2-6
    * CompTIA CDIA+ Job Task Analysis, Nov. 9-11

    Seems like we will not be hearing anything until late November now.
    GAH, that bites. Guess they're either distracted with their database issues, or they're having as hard a time finding SME's to participate in grading as they had finding folks to take the betas. icon_sad.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It would be interesting if these didn't come out of beta until next year.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    wastedtime wrote: »
    It would be interesting if these didn't come out of beta until next year.
    I'm hoping that's not the case, but it very well might be. There's NO books listed on Amazon.com for the 2009 exam, so maybe they're delaying as they work out the final objectives and work with publishers on updates. Regardless of the reasons for the delays, I'm just hoping that it gets finalized and released sooner rather than later - I wanna know how I did!! icon_sad.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Why the hell is the Server+ going to be done after the linux+ when it was released first?

    CompTIA becomes less and less impressive everytime i have to deal with them.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Why the hell is the Server+ going to be done after the linux+ when it was released first?
    The product marketing priorities and the number of necessary revisions have strong influences of what is released when. Revising an IT certification is not an assembly line producing multiple items of identical product. It's an R&D process whose exact date of completion can't be accurately determined.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    CompTIA becomes less and less impressive everytime i have to deal with them.
    In this particular case, it is because you don't fully understand the process and problems involved in creating a quality IT certification.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    CompTIA becomes less and less impressive everytime i have to deal with them.

    I somewhat agree, but not for the same reason. I don't mind waiting for Beta scores, I think it shows that they are doing everything they can to balance the difficulty of the exam.

    What I'm more concerned about is the fact that they are having trouble finding enough Beta testers for some exams. The problem is, I don't know if I'm accurate in my thinking. It might just well be that they felt 400 people were not enough for some exams to determine the exam difficulty.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The product marketing priorities and the number of necessary revisions have strong influences of what is released when. Revising an IT certification is not an assembly line producing multiple items of identical product. It's an R&D process whose exact date of completion can't be accurately determined.


    In this particular case, it is because you don't fully understand the process and problems involved in creating a quality IT certification.


    I think I understand it fine.

    Here are a few facts that negate your reasoning, though (actually you didnt give any REAL reason why linux+ would come first but whatever)

    1. I bet there are more takers of beta+ so far than linux+ (and one reaosn would be Server+ has been available much longer)

    2. The information to cover in Server+ is much more static. The Linux world is fast paced and ever changing considering the sheer amount of distros and how the smallest thing changes between them.

    3. If i remember correctly, the Server+ has been around much longer than Linux+ and therefore you would imagine their processes should be much more refined for the server+ by this point.

    4. Marketing priority? I would find it hard to beleive that Linux+ is more desired than the Server+. Thats not to say the Server+ is necessarily desirable, but ive only really ever seen linux guys scoff at the linux+ and most other people just dont care about it.


    I get irritated with CompTIA because they are ignorant. High prices, too-easy certs, non-valuable certs, missing timelines.

    I took the Windows 7 beta, an exam that likely had 5 times or more of the amount of testers than Server+, and i got my results early.

    Besides, the only people who put much value in comptia certs/have a lot of them are those who know a little about a lot/know a lot about nothing.

    I'll never take a comptia cert that isnt free.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'll never take a comptia cert that isnt free.
    I once had a Jewish friend who told me, "I would never buy a Volkswagen because it was designed by Hitler, but I would take one for free." I didn't understand that statement either.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I once had a Jewish friend who told me, "I would never buy a Volkswagen because it was designed by Hitler, but I would take one for free." I didn't understand that statement either.

    Just because i dont like comptia and they are an egotistical, unorganized, crappily run company does not mean that HR departments dont look for/filter for their certs.

    Just because hitler ordered the killing of millions of jewish people, doesnt mean your friend doesnt need to get around town. :D
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Just because i dont like comptia and they are an egotistical, unorganized, crappily run company does not mean that HR departments dont look for/filter for their certs.
    Aside from the A+ and Security+, what's the CompTIA cert that's getting your resume noticed these days?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Aside from the A+ and Security+, what's the CompTIA cert that's getting your resume noticed these days?

    Those were the ones i was referring to.

    I've also seen a job listing or two that requested a Network+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I've also seen a job listing or two that requested a Network+
    Yeah, I've seen a listing or two that asked for Cisco networking certs too. ;)
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know about jobs in the civilian sector but under DoD Directive 8570.01-M the very minimal IAT, IAM Jobs require A+, Network+, or Security+. That affects all armed forces, and contractors under them.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I don't know about jobs in the civilian sector but under DoD Directive 8570.01-M the very minimal IAT, IAM Jobs require A+, Network+, or Security+. That affects all armed forces, and contractors under them.

    A directive probably written by someone who has no clue as to whats actually in the exams. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I think I understand it fine.

    Here are a few facts that negate your reasoning, though (actually you didnt give any REAL reason why linux+ would come first but whatever)

    1. I bet there are more takers of beta+ so far than linux+ (and one reaosn would be Server+ has been available much longer)

    2. The information to cover in Server+ is much more static. The Linux world is fast paced and ever changing considering the sheer amount of distros and how the smallest thing changes between them.

    3. If i remember correctly, the Server+ has been around much longer than Linux+ and therefore you would imagine their processes should be much more refined for the server+ by this point.

    4. Marketing priority? I would find it hard to beleive that Linux+ is more desired than the Server+. Thats not to say the Server+ is necessarily desirable, but ive only really ever seen linux guys scoff at the linux+ and most other people just dont care about it.


    I get irritated with CompTIA because they are ignorant. High prices, too-easy certs, non-valuable certs, missing timelines.

    I took the Windows 7 beta, an exam that likely had 5 times or more of the amount of testers than Server+, and i got my results early.

    Besides, the only people who put much value in comptia certs/have a lot of them are those who know a little about a lot/know a lot about nothing.

    I'll never take a comptia cert that isnt free.
    Um, wow. Those are some pretty broad statements there. I think you're missing an important point here - CompTIA certs are ENTRY LEVEL. Of course, experts will scoff at CompTIA certs and will find them easy compared to higher level certs. But they're like "gateway certs" - they help get your foot in the door and show a basic level of proficiency. They're not the end all and be all of certs or knowledge, and I'm pretty sure that most people know that.

    As for why it takes longer for CompTIA to prepare, update, and distribute betas? It's pretty simple - they're not dealing with their own products, so they have little control over the technologies they're testing on. Microsoft made the products that they're testing you on, and they have VAST resources when it comes to exam development. CompTIA does not and they have to cover other people's products (both software and harware) on their exams, so it makes their job inherently more difficult.

    It's my understanding that Linux+ doesn't focus on a particular "flavor" of Linux, so you don't have to know all the distro's or the intricate details of dealing with all of them. You have to know basics and common commands and features.

    Is CompTIA perfect? No. Do I wish they were faster with their betas? Of course! I really wanna know how I did on Server+. But I understand that there is likely more of a market for Linux+ than for Server+, and so it's probably in their best interest to get that one out first. Or perhaps they were having a harder time gathering the needed SME's to do the grading or perhaps there were scheduling conflicts with the SME's they DID find. Whatever the reason, I agreed to wait for my results for however long it took them to finalize and release the exam. We didn't have to pay for the exam, but the price we have to pay is in the form of time. So I'm just going to feign patience for a few weeks longer and hope that we get our Server+ results before year's end.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

    Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I dont think my statements were all that broad.

    I tend to expect a little more out of CompTIA when it comes to turning around a beta and releasing it because it is their primary business line. Understandably Microsoft has far more resources, but certifications are just a tiny tiny piece of what MS does and yet it can open a beta to 5 or more times as many people and get the results out 3-6 months quicker.

    On the point of "stuff changing"....i can guarantee you that the stuff in the linux world changes much faster than what hardware is used in a server environment. In fact, I was tested on some fairly ancient hardware on the Server+ beta.

    I still dont think there should be an issue getting the Server+ done prior to Linux+, aside from the off chance that they simply have more volume for the Linux+ and want it to be done.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I really don't see the point in letting this get to you. So you have to be more patient with CompTIA than you do with Microsoft, big deal! Yeah, waiting sucks, but most everyone else seems to be able to handle it without resorting to negative comments about the company.

    It's interesting that you keep comparing Microsoft to CompTIA. I would like to point out that there is a huge difference between the two companies that explain why Microsoft can get things done a lot faster.... CompTIA is a non-profit trade association, not a multi-billion dollar corporate giant like Microsoft. If you haven't noticed, CompTIA has been asking for SMEs to help with the Beta Process.

    Honestly, there's not reason for the negative attitude.

    On a personal note, it was thanks to be A+ certified that I landed my first full time job in IT. After that, I studied the Network+ and the Security+ which were both very good primers for the CCNA. I feel that I gained a lot by studying for those exams.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I really don't see the point in letting this get to you. So you have to be more patient with CompTIA than you do with Microsoft, big deal! Yeah, waiting sucks, but most everyone else seems to be able to handle it without resorting to negative comments about the company.

    It's interesting that you keep comparing Microsoft to CompTIA. I would like to point out that there is a huge difference between the two companies that explain why Microsoft can get things done a lot faster.... CompTIA is a non-profit trade association, not a multi-billion dollar corporate giant like Microsoft. If you haven't noticed, CompTIA has been asking for SMEs to help with the Beta Process.

    Honestly, there's not reason for the negative attitude.

    On a personal note, it was thanks to be A+ certified that I landed my first full time job in IT. After that, I studied the Network+ and the Security+ which were both very good primers for the CCNA. I feel that I gained a lot by studying for those exams.

    If you havn't noticed, Microsoft also collects SME's to develop exams for various points though the process.

    I think that CompTIA toutes its certifications as the greatest thing since sliced bread, its prices and fees reflect that. So they should reflect that demeanor back with their efforts to the people who are trying to make their exams worthwhile (beta testers and SME's)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    No offense Hyper-me, but you sound like your very immature. You have nothing but complaints, which all seem to stem from your impatience in regards to how long it is taking for results. It's kind of ironic really, considering that you don't see any value for the certifications to begin with.
    Besides, the only people who put much value in comptia certs/have a lot of them are those who know a little about a lot/know a lot about nothing.

    I find your sense of entitlement to be rather annoying. CompTIA doesn't owe you anything. They already gave us some free Beta exams, even to those who don't deserve it.
    So they should reflect that demeanor back with their efforts to the people who are trying to make their exams worthwhile (beta testers and SME's)

    This coming from someone who will only take one of their exams for free. I see that you must be one of those Beta Testers who are trying to make the exams worthwhile huh? You must have their best interest at heart right?
    I get irritated with CompTIA because they are ignorant. High prices, too-easy certs, non-valuable certs, missing timelines.

    High Prices compared to what? They are lifetime certifications, a one time fee. You easily will pay twice as much for one single college course. Is that one course alone going to get your foot in the door somewhere? I suppose college and universities are also ignorant as well, right?

    The certs are too easy? Yes, I have found the exams that I've taken so far to be easy, but I've been in the field for several years. These are meant to be entry level, in my opinion, they meet that target. You are tested on your understanding of a particular topic. As I said earlier, the A+ got my foot in the door, paying a few hundred dollars for a career of tens of thousands per year higher was a very reasonable trade off in my opinion.

    Why don't you go spread your negativity else where. There are a lot of people who come to these forums, who want to better themselves and get a foot in the door somewhere. A lot of people come here, first time exam takers, taking CompTIA exams because they want to get a start in IT. All you do by coming in here and spouting off this nonsense is tell these people that they are useless.

    You know what, these people are not useless, as a matter of fact, many of them have a very strong desire to learn and they have to start somewhere. This forum is about supporting others and their goals. Try to remember that.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    This use to be such a quiet, friendly little thread. It'd be a shame if I have to lock it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I never said anyone was useless.

    But having a breadth of entry level certs makes you good at...well...entry level stuff, not much more (at least verified with a certification status).

    I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers, honestly. I guess ive been "spoiled" in dealing with Microsofts betas, which yes microsoft has a lot more resources than comptia.

    Yes, i would consider myself one of the ones trying to help compTIA with their betas to make them better. I am not entry level, so their tests mean very little to me (other than being good for HR screens). However, since i maintain some expertise in some of the fields they test on, im sure it helps them that I take their beta and comment accordingly, in a way being an SME. Isn't that their intention by running a beta? Its certainly not just to give the test away. My understanding has always been that you get to take the beta for free, in return for offering expert advice in forms of question comments on the test itself.

    I guess we will get them when we get them.

    No need to make this hostile, btw. I have no desire to.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Maybe they drew straws to see which cert was going to be released first since the server SME's and the Linux SME's both wanted it released first...?
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Any word of when the results will be released? It's October, so it should be getting close! :)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PC509 wrote: »
    Any word of when the results will be released? It's October, so it should be getting close! :)

    Or maybe more like November especially with that SME thing they have going. I want the results too just for the heck of it, although it doesnt have any bearing on my career, whatsoever.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Essendon wrote: »
    Or maybe more like November especially with that SME thing they have going. I want the results too just for the heck of it, although it doesnt have any bearing on my career, whatsoever.

    You said it! I'm pretty much the same way, I would like to see the results, but they don't have any effect on my career at this point. I took it the exam because I felt that I could offer a lot of suggestions, the fact is that I did comment more on this exam than any that I can remember. Still, I am curious to see the results.
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You said it! I'm pretty much the same way, I would like to see the results, but they don't have any effect on my career at this point. I took it the exam because I felt that I could offer a lot of suggestions, the fact is that I did comment more on this exam than any that I can remember. Still, I am curious to see the results.

    This. I have a "pending" status next to the Server+ and the 70-291 in my head and it's driving me crazy. At least I scheduled the 291 finally.icon_study.gif
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    This. I have a "pending" status next to the Server+ and the 70-291 in my head and it's driving me crazy. At least I scheduled the 291 finally.icon_study.gif

    Pending? Is that a Prometric thing?

    I hope that a great portion of us pass this. :)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    matradley wrote: »
    Pending? Is that a Prometric thing?

    I hope that a great portion of us pass this. :)


    On the Prometric site my status is "Tested". I have actually almost forgot about the tests (Server+ Beta and the Linux+ Beta) until the other day. Getting close since the Workshops are coming up soon.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,053 Admin
    On the Prometric site my status is "Tested".
    What's the link to the prometric site to get your status? All I've found is the line in their FAQ, "To obtain information about the status of your certification, you must contact the examination sponsor directly." On CompTIA's site I see no mention that I took the Server+ (again) in 2009.
  • Options
    joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    What's the link to the prometric site to get your status? All I've found is the line in their FAQ, "To obtain information about the status of your certification, you must contact the examination sponsor directly." On CompTIA's site I see no mention that I took the Server+ (again) in 2009.

    Go to the following link and over to the left click on "Candidate History", then log in and you will see the status of all your tests through Prometric.

    http://www.register.prometric.com/Menu.asp?cookie_test=1
Sign In or Register to comment.