Options

Anyone else get the invite for the Server+ 2009 beta?

Comments

• Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    The test is easy cheesy, you will pass, I'm sure of it. There are a lot of 270 questions in there as well which I noticed you have taken and passed also.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    dynamik wrote: »
    Well, your Server+ never expires, so there's no reason to "update" it.

I have a tough time understanding why someone would take it again. You can learn any new objectives without re-sitting an exam. Unless they give you the elusive Server++ designation, what is the point?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I have a tough time understanding why someone would take it again. You can learn any new objectives without re-sitting an exam. Unless they give you the elusive Server++ designation, what is the point?
    If you got Server++ certified, wouldn't the cert update itself?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TravR1 wrote: »
    The test is easy cheesy, you will pass, I'm sure of it. There are a lot of 270 questions in there as well which I noticed you have taken and passed also.

well, no, I took 271 & 272, which combined (iirc, I started 270 for work, but then they changed to the MCDST combo) were almost at the difficulty level of 270
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    If you got Server++ certified, wouldn't the cert update itself?

Well played, Sir! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    icon_scratch.gif
    Dear Server+ Beta Applicant:

We have received your confirmation to take the Server+ voucher for Prometric.

At the present time, we await new voucher numbers.

Once we receive your voucher number, I will send the voucher number to you via email.

Thank you.
    Sharon Tierney
    Product Manager
  • Options
    If I took an exam on two different versions, I would put the A++ on there and when the interviewer asks about it you can tell them you took it twice to stay current. Then make a joke out of it and say it's twice as good, like how C++ was named that because it was twice as good as C.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Then make a joke out of it and say it's twice as good, like how C++ was named that because it was twice as good as C.
    Actually, C++ is just "one better" than C, but you gotta be a C/C++ programmer to understand why. ;)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Unless you overload it!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I consider "C" to be a constant rather than a class, so you can't overload the "++". You'll need to use "*= 2" or "<< 1" instead. ;)
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    Piers wrote: »
    icon_scratch.gif

Ouch, sounds like I got in just under the wire. I applied for a voucher Friday and received it Monday. Scheduled to take it on 6/29, but we'll see. I need to knock out BCMSN before any time can be devoted to Server+.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Piers wrote: »
    icon_scratch.gif

Did you ask if they had any more for VUE?
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Actually, C++ is just "one better" than C, but you gotta be a C/C++ programmer to understand why. ;)

Your right, but it's not as funny if you try to explain the math. I use to know why it was C++ but I've since forgotten.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Your right, but it's not as funny if you try to explain the math. I use to know why it was C++ but I've since forgotten.

Yea, it kinda killed it. C++ is equal to C = C + 1. So, it's the next version of C. It's like C V2.0. Or something like that. It's a lot better than C, in my opinion. Of course, I learned C++ first.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Either CompTIA has expanded the number of people they want to take the exam, or TE folks are the only ones going for this Beta - I did the online request for a voucher this weekend, and I got an email this afternoon asking me to verify my interest & test center choice. I picked Prometric, but I said that I'd be willing to go with Pearson Vue if they're out of Prometric vouchers. Let's see if they've still got any available...if they do, then this is my next test. I've got a CBT Nugget video set for Server 2005 (got the A+/Network+/Server+ package a while back) so I'll probably just look at that and do some googling of the objectives and bust out my A+/Network+ books to review some topics and call it good.
    I don't know C/C++, but a bit of Java helps too...we just did a review of increments and decrements in my Java class the other day and when I saw this post it just kinda hit me - 'HEY, I know what that means!' (And I kinda feel like a dolt for not making the connection earlier...icon_redface.gif)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    tomkentomken Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently Studying For:
    NOTHING, WHEEEEEEEEE! (Wonder how long *that* will last...I'll be jonesing for some cert studying soon enough...)

LOL!!! That lasted what...like a week!?!?!

In all seriousness though, I submitted my application for this beta exam two fridays ago, I was sent the verification e-mail the following monday, and that tuesday received the email stating that they were waiting on more vouchers.....received my voucher today and registered to take the exam on the 29th. I also have the 2005 CBT Nuggets and I ordered a used Exam Cram book from Barnes & Noble last week for $12. So between those and JD's post, it should be a breeze!!!!

Good luck to anyone who has or is preparing to sit this exam!!!!
  • Options
    tomken wrote: »
    Currently Studying For:
    NOTHING, WHEEEEEEEEE! (Wonder how long *that* will last...I'll be jonesing for some cert studying soon enough...)

LOL!!! That lasted what...like a week!?!?!
    Yeah, I know, I know - I'm an addict, what can I say?! icon_lol.gif I'm not officially studying anything just yet, but I've been spending some time the last couple days reviewing my certification plans and my goals & the like, and I also ordered my 70-291 TestOut, and I'm considering doing Security+ too, so it's just a matter of time before I have to change my signature.
    tomken wrote: »
    In all seriousness though, I submitted my application for this beta exam two fridays ago, I was sent the verification e-mail the following monday, and that tuesday received the email stating that they were waiting on more vouchers.....received my voucher today and registered to take the exam on the 29th. I also have the 2005 CBT Nuggets and I ordered a used Exam Cram book from Barnes & Noble last week for $12. So between those and JD's post, it should be a breeze!!!!

Good luck to anyone who has or is preparing to sit this exam!!!!
    Cool, so if I've gotten a verification email already, then it sounds like I have a good shot of getting in on this one. Also sounds like you and I will be doing a very similar exam prep for this one (assuming I get the a-ok, that is). Good luck to you & all the the other beta-takers! icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    well, I'm in - got my voucher via email and I signed up for the 24th. I might move it up a couple days though, depending on how my reviewing goes. The email I got said that if they get up to 400 test-takers before I register for OR take the exam, they may "terminate" the offer.

• Options
    still haven't gotten anything yet icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Got the voucher, but couldn't get done given I've been crazy busy (including CCNA studies).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just saw a Server Beta + Voucher on Ebay for $49.00.
  • Options
    sdyess wrote: »
    I just saw a Server Beta + Voucher on Ebay for $49.00.
    Seriously?! What the hell?! If I lose out on my beta because some shmuck bought their voucher on ebay, I'm gonna be ticked off...

• Options
    I would assume each beta voucher is linked to the name of the person it was given to, so trying to sell a beta voucher on eBay is half-way between ignorant and stupid.
  • Options
    I would assume each beta voucher is linked to the name of the person it was given to, so trying to sell a beta voucher on eBay is half-way between ignorant and stupid.
    I hope you're right...and I wonder what will happen when the folks go for their exam with their purchased beta vouchers and find out that they don't get their scores until October, HA! icon_lol.gif

• Options
    The surprise will come when they try to sign up for the beta exam on the Prometric Web site and their name doesn't match the name attached to the voucher in CompTIA's database.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    skrpune wrote: »
    Seriously?! What the hell?! If I lose out on my beta because some shmuck bought their voucher on ebay, I'm gonna be ticked off...

What a bloody waste. I know someone nearby that would have loved to be able to take the exam.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    The surprise will come when they try to sign up for the beta exam on the Prometric Web site and their name doesn't match the name attached to the voucher in CompTIA's database.

I doubt prometric keeps up with it/cares. CompTIA might...but considering that microsoft doesnt keep very good tabs on its vouchers and stuff I seriously doubt Comptia does either.
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    I doubt prometric keeps up with it/cares. CompTIA might...but considering that microsoft doesnt keep very good tabs on its vouchers and stuff I seriously doubt Comptia does either.
    I really hope they do keep track of that stuff though, it would be great to see egg all over the face of those greedy enough to sell free vouchers and those foolish enough to buy them. Plus, CompTIA seemed to be moderately selective about who got in for the voucher (otherwise they would have done a public release of a voucher code like MS did with Windows 7 Beta), so it would make sense that they'd want to make sure that those who got a voucher actually were the ones that took the exam. But I've seen more than one person giving away or selling vouchers, so who knows.

• Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    For Microsoft, certifications are only a very tiny percentage its total revenues. For CompTIA, certifications are part of its core business. This considered, I'm pretty sure that CompTIA treats the integrity of its certifications seriously and as necessary for maintaining its existence.