Options

Anyone else get the invite for the Server+ 2009 beta?

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    JDMurray wrote: »
    For Microsoft, certifications are only a very tiny percentage its total revenues. For CompTIA, certifications are part of its core business. This considered, I'm pretty sure that CompTIA treats the integrity of its certifications seriously and as necessary for maintaining its existence.
    very good point. People often wonder why CompTIA exams are so expensive, but when I think about it that way, it's their main business...aside from CompTIA memberships, it's probably the main source of income.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    For Microsoft, certifications are only a very tiny percentage its total revenues. For CompTIA, certifications are part of its core business. This considered, I'm pretty sure that CompTIA treats the integrity of its certifications seriously and as necessary for maintaining its existence.

I guess this is also why they cost a metric fortune (as skrpune mentioned) and why they rarely ever give out discounts/vouchers unless you buy piles of their "certified" training materials.
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    I doubt prometric keeps up with it/cares. CompTIA might...but considering that microsoft doesnt keep very good tabs on its vouchers and stuff I seriously doubt Comptia does either.
    The voucher contact I received my emails from was very thankful to have the auctions brought to their attention.. maybe a few more will be available soon
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Piers wrote: »
    The voucher contact I received my emails from was very thankful to have the auctions brought to their attention.. maybe a few more will be available soon
    Ooooh, so you told her about it? Good for you! icon_thumright.gif It was making me sick that someone was profiting from the beta and that there are folks (including myself) who might lose out on their spot due to the beta voucher farming/selling.

I wonder how they'll track this? Maybe just compare used voucher numbers back to the person who requested/got them & zap anyone who doesn't match up? In that case, they'd have to either do it on the fly as results come in, or they'll have to allow more than 400 folks to take the exam and then weed out the sold beta vouchers after the fact.

• Options
    Just got two notes from the Comptia product manager, one saying I hadn't replied saying I'd like a voucher (not true, I replied on June 2 saying I'd take one) and then another a 1/2 hour later saying Hey, we sent you this voucher code, but you didn't take the test yet. The first note said they "still have some FREE vouchers left to distribute." and it also said they could extend the date from the 30th to July 17

Hopefully everyone that legitimately wanted one gets one!
  • Options
    Just got two notes from the Comptia product manager, one saying I hadn't replied saying I'd like a voucher (not true, I replied on June 2 saying I'd take one) and then another a 1/2 hour later saying Hey, we sent you this voucher code, but you didn't take the test yet. The first note said they "still have some FREE vouchers left to distribute." and it also said they could extend the date from the 30th to July 17

Hopefully everyone that legitimately wanted one gets one!
    Oy, so they're not exactly keeping on top of information tracking and demand for the beta isn't too high, eh? I bet they feel a little left out after Windows 7 got a RUSH of people...here CompTIA is practically begging folks to take the exam!

I haven't gotten any follow up emails from CompTIA since I got my voucher & scheduled my exam.

Piers, so have you gotten your voucher code yet??

• Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Funny thing. a couple weeks ago I got an email from her saying the voucher number was in the e mail. I scrolled down and saw that it was blank where it said voucher.
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »

Piers, so have you gotten your voucher code yet??

I got it, but I don't think I can use it.. the only local prometric sites have the exam on the 18th and 19th, a bit too soon, and neither have it in July, so I can't finish my current study and then take it.. If I'd gotten the voucher closer to when I asked (June 2), I would have taken it right away.. I just got my Server+ cert at the end of April, so I figured I'd be able to walk in and sit without extra study. But now I'm up to my pits in 70-642 and don't want to slosh around my information storage with anything but..
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got it, but I don't think I can use it.. the only local prometric sites have the exam on the 18th and 19th, a bit too soon, and neither have it in July, so I can't finish my current study and then take it.. If I'd gotten the voucher closer to when I asked (June 2), I would have taken it right away.. I just got my Server+ cert at the end of April, so I figured I'd be able to walk in and sit without extra study. But now I'm up to my pits in 70-642 and don't want to slosh around my information storage with anything but..

The reason you cannot take the exam in July is because the beta ends on June 30th. You may want to email CompTIA and see if they will switch your promectric voucher with vue voucher and maybe there will be more test times available in your area. That is just a thought, but in my opinion if already had passed Server+ a few months ago I would not even bother with the beta. Just my 2 cents...
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    The first note said they "still have some FREE vouchers left to distribute." and it also said they could extend the date from the 30th to July 17

plus, I only requested a voucher because Server+ is fresh in my mind, it would have no effect on my current cert, and to get a free upgrade (possibly) seemed like it would be worth a couple hours of my time
  • Options
    just in:
    The centers will have openings in July soon. I just have to get the voucher extended and it will be fine. It should take a few days to get them extended
  • Options
    just in:
    The centers will have openings in July soon. I just have to get the voucher extended and it will be fine. It should take a few days to get them extended
    wow. Poor CompTIA, they're not exactly getting people knocking down their doors to take this exam! Hmmm, maybe I can push mine back a bit??

• Options
    joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CompTia's website still has the registration page for the Beta up and I registered a few days ago. What does anyone think the chances are that I will get a voucher? How long should it take to hear from them? I want to either take this one or the Net+ to finish one of the requirements to complete my MCSA.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    wow. Poor CompTIA, they're not exactly getting people knocking down their doors to take this exam! Hmmm, maybe I can push mine back a bit??
    Or maybe they sold out due to an unexpected demand and added more exam seats.

And the beta ends in 10 days, so don't wait too long to reschedule.
  • Options
    joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□

And the beta ends in 10 days, so don't wait too long to reschedule.

I just received my confirmation email from CompTia and the email stated that I had to take the Beta before July 30th, 2009. Looks like I got in and have about a month to study up. Although, I work with Servers everyday I haven't taken an exam in years so I will make sure to read up on everything. Any advice from recent exam takers?
  • Options
    ...take the Beta before July 30th, 2009.
    Looks like they extended the original end date. Nice!
    Any advice from recent exam takers?
    Read my previous posts in this thread. Good luck!
  • Options
    I got the same
    I’m pleased to advise you that you were among the first 400 applicants for a CompTIA Server+ beta voucher. I have enclosed the voucher number for you to use in registering for the exam. Please note that a request has recently been submitted to extend these vouchers to July 30th. It may take several days for this update to be implemented.

If your test provider advises that they cannot schedule this exam past June 30th, it is because their systems have not yet been updated with the extension.

This voucher will expire on July 30th. However, once 400 candidates have received vouchers and taken the exam, we will terminate this offer. If we note that you have not registered or taken the exam prior to us reaching the goal of 400 exams, we will advise.
  • Options
    mayonimayoni Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the tips, now I feel more at ease to pass the beta exam. I've only started to work on servers since Jan. I just passed the IBM system X server part 1 and 2, hopefully studying some NOS and network technology will enable me to ace the beta. I thought of extending the voucher deadline, but I'll just do it next Sunday, since I still have lots of other cert that work wants me to take. PDI+ , then CCNA will be next for me. I registered for the voucher on June 1, got a reply on June 3, then got my voucher on June 8, somehow it felt like weeks from the time I registered for the voucher. I guess I have too much work and study. Even taking SAP, BO courses on the side.
  • Options

You give CompTIA WAY too much credit.
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    You give CompTIA WAY too much credit.
    Just playing Angel's advocate. icon_profileleft.gificon_profileright.gif
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, I sent the request two days ago and got the invitation mail today .. waiting for the voucher now.

I think being from the middle east helped "I do not think many middle eastern guys applied for this"
    Side note:

I was about to delete the mail without opening it .. it seemed like SPAM
    "Response Required--Please confirm voucher request",
    it was just below a mail from Bank of America with a similar generic subject.
  • Options
    Just playing Angel's advocate. icon_profileleft.gificon_profileright.gif

weaksauce.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA must be desperate... they sent me another voucher code after I've already taken it.
  • Options
    Yeah they just sent me one too icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA must be desperate... they sent me another voucher code after I've already taken it.

lol same here .. however, I rather have a duplicate than none at all :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Are you sure it's a different voucher code? Because I got another email today with the same voucher code but with a notice that it's been extended to July 30th. (Mine originally expired June 30th and I haven't taken it yet.)

UPDATE: scratch that, I didn't see it before, but I got another email from CompTIA saying to ignore the previous one with the voucher extension in it...GAH, so what's going on?? I guess my voucher still expires on the 30th??

• Options
    I guess my voucher still expires on the 30th??
    Email Sharon Tierney back and ask. She should be able to extend your voucher if need be.
  • Options
    Email Sharon Tierney back and ask. She should be able to extend your voucher if need be.
    I'm actually going to do that & see what the deal is, especially since I tried to reschedule from 6/24 to 6/29 and am unable to do so on the Prometric site (it's either partially down & won't allow me to change my date, or this weird email & voucher extension maybe-sorta situation has complicated things). Fun times.

• Options
    UPDATE: got this email back from Sharon early today:
    We are in the process of having the vouchers extended to July 30th because we have not yet hit our target of 400 exams taken. Therefore, your voucher should allow you to extend the date shortly. If it does not, please just let me know, and I will send you a different one.

• Options
    They haven't hit 400 yet? I wonder if they posted Server+ beta exam articles to digg, slashdot, facebook, linkedin, and twitter.