Options

A+ should I do study for it.

ibit-mattibit-matt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been in my IT job for a year and I am studying for my 70-620 vista config exam.

Shoudl I think about doing the A+

Also what things do you learn when you do the A+ course?

Many Thanks

Matt

Working On: 70-622 | 70-290 |

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ibit-matt wrote: »
    I have been in my IT job for a year and I am studying for my 70-620 vista config exam.

Shoudl I think about doing the A+
    Why at this point?

It won't hurt, but continue pursuing the certs you will use in your career. Not everyone has an A+, but if you work with hardware, it is usually a piece-of-cake to pass and then you can say you have it.

Also what things do you learn when you do the A+ course?

No way.
    I think the A+ courses are a waste and completely unnecessary. There is very little you will not pickup from experience and reading Meyers and/or Sybex books.

But it is completely up to you. Depends on your knowledge, time and money. But A+ courses are not something I recommend nor something I would take.

If you want to spend money for 'classes'. Check your community college for what they offer or some of the 'real' universities and get yourself a degree. Stay clear of the "I want to be a tech-type schools". They are very costly and generally are so basic the candidate is not a desirable hire once they finish.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    +1

A+ is a piece of cake. Just read the book and take the test. Classes are totally unnessesary for this type of test.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's a bit of a loaded question. We need a lot more detail than that before I give you career advice.

Ultimately if you want a $10 an hour Geek Squad/Help desk job then that is what A+ will help you get. NOW, if are moving up from that sort of role maybe MCDST, CCENT, MCSA, CCNA should be things you have in mind.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is your current job role? If you've been doing it a year, obviously you know something about computers. I think it all depends on your current skill set, and what you hope to accomplish. For me, I saw A+, as an easy cert, to apply to bigger cert-MCSA. I've been working in my job for many years. But, I will say that A+ forced me to learn, and solidify certain basic concepts, which has added value. Sometimes, you've just got to make sure the car has gas, before you leave the garage. I think it's a personal decision, depending on your current skill set.