Options

netbooks for work

Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anybody ever use these fancy new netbooks for work? Sometimes I'll have to plug into a switch, test a drop, whatever... I don't think I could justify myself spending another few hundred bucks for a new toy. As long as it has an ethernet connection I can use it for just about anything. It seems like you could install anything and everything you want to use on one. But does anybody actually use one for work? I'd like the fact that it has a very small form factor. I do like tiny things. icon_neutral.gif
A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    I have a Samsung NC10 that I think is awesome. Standard Atom proc, 2GB ram (after $20 upgrade), 160GB hd, 3 USB 2.0, wireless & rj45, etc, etc. The battery life on it has been stellar for me, too.

I only use it at home, but I would use it for work if I needed one. The track pad is the weakest link, but by no means a deal breaker (for me anyway).

If I lost or broke mine, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always have my Lenovo S10e netbook handy:

Lenovo IdeaPad S10e - Review of the Lenovo IdeaPad S10e

Upgraded it to 2.5GB RAM (had 512mb soldered on, added a 2gb) and a 160gb hdd. Dual boots between XP if I need Windows based support and Backtrack 4. I carry it along with a 500gb 2.5" external hdd and an external usb dvd-rw drive in a Solo Netbook bag (awesome bag!). Also keep the A/C adapter and a USB to serial adapter in the bag and it's just about everything I need at a remote office for most jobs unless I need to do any cabling. Pretty decent machine overall, only thing I keep planning on adding is an internal bluetooth adapter and picking up a bluetooth mouse for it to carry along as well since I dislike touchpads.

Solo Netbook bag:

Netbook Mini Instant Messenger, Black, SOLO Tech Collection
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a couple of old Pentium-M notebooks with 12.1" screens that I use for that type of thing. They are mine though (not the company's). You could probably find something similar on eBay for less if you don't want to spend that much.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I use my Dell Mini 9 all the time for both personal and work stuff. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB (for about $25 after market) and put a 32GB SSD (after market as well - the Dell ones are way too slow on writes) and am running Vista on it (Aero, etc works fine). I absolutely love it and "lugging" around a ~2lb 9" netbook has been glorious - my shoulder never complains anymore ;)

The screen is small but enough for most onsite tasks and I have a KVM I plug it into at home when I want to do something that requires more screen real estate (Visio, PowerPoint, etc).

When I want to lab something up I RDP (TS Gateway) into my ESX farm at home and I have all the processing power I could want. Its been a great combination for me.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I may think about getting one. Thanks for the reviews guys. I'll do some research in the next few days.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Assuming it is running the OS of your choice on it then you can do pretty much everything that a regular laptop can do on it.

I keep PDF/HTML copies of various manuals on mine for quick reference. The small screen means you don't want to actually read large chunks of the manual but it is good enough to look up things. The various tools and software apps that I need for work are also on there.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    All these reviews have made me want one so much more. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    All these reviews have made me want one so much more. icon_lol.gif
    Goooo onnnnn... you know you wanna... ;)
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Goooo onnnnn... you know you wanna... ;)

Gahh icon_moneyeyes.gif
  • Options
    If I do get one, I'll probably barely use it. And next month a totally cooler one will come out. But they look so awesome... I'd probably go for one of the Dell mini's. I'm dell all the way for laptops and such. And monitors too.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    And next month a totally cooler one will come out.
    You'll never buy any consumer electronics or car then because there is always something totally cooler around the corner...
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    I have a Asus 900, writes are way too slow but it's better than nothing if you are looking to go light. I wouldn't want anything other than SSD as I want it to be able to take a bump and a knock. For something so small it really has to be touchscreen tablet for me, I want to treat it like a book and fold the screen over and I can't do that with the 900 so I can't wait for the T101 to come out. They are very handy for light use, plus everybody thinks it's so cute.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a Advent 4211 Intel Atom processor, 80GB drive, 1GB ram, I use it for playing old skool SCUMM games, watching XFiles and Films, typing up documentation for work at home and of course for watching Adult material in the toilet lol

I will be investing in another Netbook when the Dual core Intel Atoms hit the market and I will go for a Windows 7 one.

They are awesome so lightweight.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I have an Acer Aspire One and I use it for Training Videos, School, Programming and Flash Games :]
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    Looking into this some more, I may pull the trigger at the end of the month. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Looking into this some more, I may pull the trigger at the end of the month. icon_thumright.gif

Go on go on go on go on go on go on ;)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought myself a Dell Mini 9, upgraded it to 2GB memory, replaced the SSD with a 32GB RunCore SSD, and it performs quite nicely. I prefer it to my work issued Dell D630, especially since I can run OSX on it. :)
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Didja buy it? Didja buy it? Didja buy it? :D
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Didja buy it? Didja buy it? Didja buy it? :D

Sounds like she blew all her spare change on ink...