Options

CCIE Security: newb questions

wera711wera711 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am a CISSP, CCSP and CCNP. I am looking to pursue the CCIE Security in 2010. How do I know if I have enough experience to pursue this cert? I know the written is probably very tough, but I am more worried about the lab. Currently I work a lot with ASAs, Pix's, L3 switches etc. I'm a Network Administrator and have about 18 remote sites total which I manage.

I would be interested to hear others opinons. I personally have never met, nor do I currently know any CCIEs. So I have no one to ask. What about boot camps? I have never used one before, but I am considering it for the lab portion of the exam.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I would check out Ahriakin's sticky (CCIE Security Diary/Blog) at the top of this forum. That should give you a general idea of what material you need to know, etc. Good luck.
  • Options
    binaghimirebinaghimire Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi looks like we both are in same situation...I'm not CISSP..but I'm CCSP and CCNP ..I work on security on my company...mainly work on pixes,ASAs ,Switches and Access Points..I'm planning to go for CCIE..but not sure whether to go for CCIE R & S or for CCIE security.
    Would you like to be my study partener ..may be we can discuss about this and plan studies accordingly..
    And also where are you based...

wera711 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am a CISSP, CCSP and CCNP. I am looking to pursue the CCIE Security in 2010. How do I know if I have enough experience to pursue this cert? I know the written is probably very tough, but I am more worried about the lab. Currently I work a lot with ASAs, Pix's, L3 switches etc. I'm a Network Administrator and have about 18 remote sites total which I manage.

I would be interested to hear others opinons. I personally have never met, nor do I currently know any CCIEs. So I have no one to ask. What about boot camps? I have never used one before, but I am considering it for the lab portion of the exam.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    GA_JunosGA_Junos Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did twice CCIE Security lab in 2008, But I did not pass. cisco will make a big change in June. There will be 4 open questions before lab. It is tough now.
  • Options
    wera711wera711 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi looks like we both are in same situation...I'm not CISSP..but I'm CCSP and CCNP ..I work on security on my company...mainly work on pixes,ASAs ,Switches and Access Points..I'm planning to go for CCIE..but not sure whether to go for CCIE R & S or for CCIE security.
    Would you like to be my study partener ..may be we can discuss about this and plan studies accordingly..
    And also where are you based...

Binaghimire, sorry about the late response. Yes, I am sending you a PM

Everyone else, thanks for the responses
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    The CCIE sounds very doable with your experience. Looking at the blueprint and hardware outline will probably give you more insight to your ability than any of us could. Also download one of the vendors free labs and read through it see how many technologies you are familiar with. Whatever your level is you are most likely going to spend a lot of hours studying directly for the exam. If you are looking for comparison to those other certs I would say night and day in terms of difficulty and format.
  • Options
    bonnyiypebonnyiype Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI all.......
    am to planning to do my CCIE security....i hav completed my ccnp and ccsp certifications....shud we knw CCIE R&S to go for CCIE SECURITY??
    any one can reply me.....................
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bonnyiype wrote: »
    shud we knw CCIE R&S to go for CCIE SECURITY??
    While it may be somewhat helpful, it isn't required.

You need a good understanding of Routing & Switching Topics, but not at the CCIE R&S level. But you will want to be at an Expert level for anything R&S that could be considered Security related.

The best thing to do is check out the Written blueprint, Lab blueprint, and the suggested reading Book List -- and start reading (and hitting a practice lab) to fill in any gaps in your CCSP and CCNP knowledge.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    bonnyiypebonnyiype Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anybody tell what wil b the minimum cost if u make CCIE security home lab according to latest blueprint version 3 ????.....pls ayone reply....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bonnyiype wrote: »
    minimum cost
    $22,000 to $25,000
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which is why you should emulate what you can, get a switch or 2. Then use Rack Rental.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    rnili12rnili12 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi dear,
    i 'm going to pick up all courses in ****** college ccvp or ccnp but i have no idea about them, i have Bc in software programming but for long time i don't have any practice, know i would like to know wich one of CCNP or CCVP course that almost take time for 38 weeks for wich one and after finsh course i will have ccie exame is better for me just bring in your mind i don;t have any idea from them---> with thanksicon_study.gif