Options

system keeps rebooting

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Weird machine. System boots and stays good in safe mode, but when normal boot up is attempted, system reboots soon after all icons appear on the desktop. HP support says bad memory, that has been replaced but same issue. User tried XP repair in case something is corrupt, to no avail. Now brought on my bench. I've reseated memory, all conections, system is not running hot at all, so its not a heat issue.

Anyone seen this one before? Possible onboard video issue?

Comments

• Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Sounds like a not so nice driver. As soon as the guilty driver loads, it reboots.
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Rollback a driver in Device Manager. I would hazard a guess at a graphics or network card driver as these are not loaded in Safe Mode, and are most likely downloaded through Windows Update. If you did a repair the driver is propably still there.

Can you boot in to a BartPE disk?
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Instead of Safe Mode, try VGA mode or base video mode. That should eliminate the video driver.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    More than likely it was a recently updated driver. If you change the Startup and Recovery options in the Advanced sytem properties tab to not automatically reboot, you could actually see the blue screen error a find out what caused it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Press F8 at boot and turn on boot logging. It will write a ntbtlog.txt file into the Windows directory.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Will try rolling back. I just tried VGA mode, and all that displays is the background, no icons no tool bar. Mouse moves, but that is it.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have few options. Just like other said, if you recently update the driver. You might want to roll back.

If not, then the worst situation is the power source from the motherboard that having problem, and the power capacitors that fail to hold charge. This happened all the time to certain Dell workstation, too.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    As HP guys said, first thing I'd suspect is memory. Ask them to come and replace the DIMMs, all of them.

If it still rebooting, then it could be the board itself. It happened with me !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com