VCP Book

AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
Well Well. Since I be getting my MCSA next week icon_cool.gif I just went on and ordered the book: VCP Exam Cram: VMware Certified Professional (Paperback)
by Elias Khnaser (Author) from Amazon. Good price btw.

Does anyone knows if one needs to pay for the P2V Accreditation? Is it a test or a course to be attended?

Thanks
XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
VCP4 » 0%
LPIC-1 » 0%

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you have to be a vmware partner to obtain that
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I think you have to be a vmware partner to obtain that
    Correct you need to be a partner or VAC to take the course and receive the accreditation.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Just got the book today and can't wait to finish it. It's only 300 pages and the letters are big... not like a novel lol.

I'll comment more about it later icon_study.gif

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • spaatspaat Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great book. That, along with the course book from the class, helped me tremendously in passing the test.
    spaat wrote: »
    Great book. That, along with the course book from the class, helped me tremendously in passing the test.

Good to know it helped you. I think it is doing a good job so far explaining things in a non too technical way. I feel it skips a lot of details most of the time but I guess I can back those topics up with reading the official VMWare PDF's etc... icon_study.gif

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We use ESX here, which I have never used before.

Would the Exam Cram VCP book help me get a head start?
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FadeToBright We use ESX here, which I have never used before.

Would the Exam Cram VCP book help me get a head start?

I would recommend the "Mastering VI3 Book". I read a lot of it and it covers basics as well as goes in depth when needed. I have not read the VCP Exam Cram book but I hoping to get it for my birthday in 2 weeks icon_sad.gif

The 2 books are about the same price on Amazon so I think this one will give you what you are looking for and you can use it as a reference afterward (I do).

BreadFan
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Breadfan wrote: »
    I would recommend the "Mastering VI3 Book". I read a lot of it and it covers basics as well as goes in depth when needed. I have not read the VCP Exam Cram book but I hoping to get it for my birthday in 2 weeks icon_sad.gif

The 2 books are about the same price on Amazon so I think this one will give you what you are looking for and you can use it as a reference afterward (I do).

BreadFan

Thanks! icon_thumright.gif
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Exam Cram is good enough for you to build some foundation on the basics when it comes to ESX. It won't go into every minute detail but it is solid enough to get you started.

I thought the best thing about the Exam Cram was that it was written very well. It was easy to read and follow along with. I'd go so far as to say it is one of the best technical books I've read. I didn't struggle with it at all. It wasn't a chore to read. Elias made it easy and interesting to read; unlike the vast majority of the technical books out there.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The "Mastering" book is just a great all-around reference, I still use it sometimes.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Alright!
    Just finished reading the book "VCP Exam Cram: VMware Certified Professional (Paperback) by Elias Khnaser (Author)."

Good reference book to get your hands wet into ESX and VC. A lot of missing details but I will reinforce that with VMWare pdfs.
    Took me 2 weeks to finish it with a lot of distractions but it can be read in 3-4 days by a more dedicated reader icon_cry.gif.

Now I'm off to the videos + hands on practice while I watch them. That's the beauty of dual monitors icon_cool.gif.

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, the VCP book is absolutely geared towards the exam. You'll be missing out on a lot of ESX knowledge if that's all you use.
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    Besides taking the course I used the Mastering VMware Infrastructure 3 by Chris McCain and this is a great book and still use it occasionally for a reference. I also used CBT Nugget VMware Infrastructure 3 VCP Certification Series. These videos help shore up some knowledge and see anything you have not done. I also have been using VMWare for about 4 years so i knew it already pretty well but resource pools and stuff I had to look over as I never used them before.

Good luck on your exam.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....