Options

Do JOB sites work?

coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have sent my resume around to so many advertised jobs. I am starting to feel that they are not for real, I have never heard from anyone, ever. I am not actively looking for a job but more or less trying to evaluate myself as to where I stand in the job market.

What is you guys' take on it, have you been able to land jobs through these job sites?

Just so you know I have little over 1 year experience, I am not sure how much that would factor in for.

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Some job sites are a lot better than others. Some become a complete nightmare from the moment you put your resume on them as they are trawled by wannabe self employed "recruiters" trying to go it alone using you as their meal ticket. (monster, fish, et al.)

I've no idea about good ones in the states but in the UK, jobserve is a very good one and only legitimate agencies can get your details.

One thing I did which worked out very well long term, was to look through job sites and look for popular agencies and then apply directly to that agency. Once I was on their books, I had work coming in all the time. I still kept looking at job sites too but without so much preassure.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    One thing I did which worked out very well long term, was to look through job sites and look for popular agencies and then apply directly to that agency.

By agency, do you mean the recruiter?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    coffeeking wrote: »
    By agency, do you mean the recruiter?

Yes thats what he means.

I couldnt agree more with what Kam has stated, or at least that applies to the UK anyway. One other thing i do is research whether the company is also advertising the post themselves and not just through an employment agency. If this is the case, i usually apply to the job directly through the company and bypass the agency rubbish.

I find the whole issue with recruitment agencies very tedious and prefer not to deal with them. Or at least thats what ive experianced.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    My friend posted his resume for long time and didn't get any reply. He uploaded his resume using the upload option.

Later, he used the resume builder on the site itself, and then he started getting real offers ! so looks like it make a difference when you use the resume builders within the site itself
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I cant speak for the WORLD but here in UK theres a few site that I have used and succesfully found work many times

The websites themselves also offer vacancies so you dont necessarly have to store your CV on it you can upload an amended CV thats been tuned for the vacancy

I have received just as many calls for ones I havent applied as of ones I have sent my CV for so its pretty even

hope that helps

Lee H
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses, so I know that it does work then. May be its the lack of experience that is not catching any eyes yet, I should probably weight another year and then give it a shot.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lee H wrote: »
    in UK theres a few site that I have used and succesfully found work many times

Such as ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what sites are you uploading to? me, i'm usually the aggressor instead of waiting for someone to come across my resume. i've put my resume on monster, hotjobs, and careerbuilder. but i usually look for the jobs on those sites, Indeed, craigslist, and direct company sites as well.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    same as what you mentioned, Monster and Careerbuilder, also on Workopolis.
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Dice.com was good to me. Plus I won a $100 Amazon card in their "tell us your story" contest, FTW.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    coffeeking wrote: »
    same as what you mentioned, Monster and Careerbuilder, also on Workopolis.

i've found out that Indeed is real good. technically speaking, i got my current job thru indeed, cuz i did a search on there, and one of the results showed that my position was posted on monster, so i just clicked on that, sent in my resume, and the rest is history. I've also applied to jobs on Indeed that were from direct company websites, and I had gotten quite a few calls & interviews from those jobs after i applied.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    must have been a damn good story then! for them to give you $100 is no joke.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not all of them and most of them don't work...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    what sites are you uploading to? me, i'm usually the aggressor instead of waiting for someone to come across my resume. i've put my resume on monster, hotjobs, and careerbuilder. but i usually look for the jobs on those sites, Indeed, craigslist, and direct company sites as well.
    agreed - if you do the dual pronged attack of posting your resume (I hedge my bets if the site allows & build a resume AND upload my resume as well) and searching/applying for jobs, it can get you some better responses. But I have to say that most of the responses I've gotten off job sites are for recruiters/staffing agencies and for short term contract jobs. I got my current (non-contract) position by applying to a posting on Craigslist...that's where I found my last job too...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    agreed - if you do the dual pronged attack of posting your resume (I hedge my bets if the site allows & build a resume AND upload my resume as well) and searching/applying for jobs, it can get you some better responses. But I have to say that most of the responses I've gotten off job sites are for recruiters/staffing agencies and for short term contract jobs. I got my current (non-contract) position by applying to a posting on Craigslist...that's where I found my last job too...

I agree with Skrpune, I posted my resume at many of those job sites like dice, monster and careerbuilder and all i got were calls from temp agencies and recruiters and most if not all of those were for temp or contract jobs.
    I got my current job and the one before that on Craigslist.